Need Help with my Home Theater Set-Up

RichF
Unregistered guest
I have the following components: Sony LCD 50" TV, Pioneer 1014 receiver, dvd/vcr combo, and digital cable receiver with my 5.1 HTIB. I just received my receiver and have never hooked up a system like this. I have the following questions:

1. The TV has a HDMI connection and the cable box has a DVI connection. The cable company installed component cables. Is it worth my money to buy the HDMI cable with DVI end converter (will the picture be noticeably better)?

2. Assuming I stay with component connections, should the cable box be routed through the receiver?

3. The cable company installed a splitter with one cable going to the cable box and one to the TV. Does this have an effect on the quality of the signal?

4. The VCR side of my VCR/DVD combo have audio and video IN connections. What are these for?

5. What cables do I need from the receiver to the TV? I know I will connect the component cables for video, but do I need any audio connection between the two or will the cable box to receiver connection handle the audio?

Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Voriand

Post Number: 15
1. HDMI sends both digital video and digital audio signals. This is great in eliminating wires. DVI sends only digital video. Now HDMI vs component and digital audio cable? I visually can't tell the difference between the two. I usually keep all my connections common. Since the xbox is component, I use component for all my connections. My reciever does not have DVI or HDMI. Basically with DVI and HDMI you are getting a digital signal while component is analog. But the quality is very comparible.

2. I route them through the reciever. I let the reciever do the video switching and only have to turn the TV power on. Purists say run video directly to the TV. I never noticed a difference so I went with the easier operating config.

3. Why is cable split? Signal path should be wall jack -> cable box -> Reciever -> TV
I don't understand the question.

4. So you can record from other sources. VCR, DVR, DSS sat, etc.

5. No audio cables to the TV unless you want to have the option of using the TV's speakers and not your main speakers.

RichF
Unregistered guest
3. The cable company routed the cable from the jack to a splitter and then one line to the cable box and one line to the TV. Apparently this splitter is required if you want to use the Twin View option on the TV. Does this affect the HD reception by splitting the connection?

Bronze Member
Username: Voriand

Post Number: 16
Not enough to notice. I would not worry about it.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us