Question about Dolby Digital and Satellite

Username: Jon61277

Post Number: 4
I hope someone can answer something for me that I just don't understand. I have Dish satellite, audio is hooked up to my digital Yamaha HTR-5740 reciever via digital optical. I also have an Xbox and DVD player hooked up via digital optical to my reciever too.

When I watch DVD's or play Xbox, if I select Dolby Digital "Standard" or "Enhanced" on my reciever all 5 speakers' icons are showing up on the LCD screen, and the sound sounds great. But when I watch TV via satellite, and select Dolby Digital Standard or Enhanced for sound, only my 2 front speakers show up on the screen. The sound is good - all 6 speakers are getting sound, but it doesn't sound as good as on DVD or Xbox. This is even when I am watching shows that say they are broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1. I've noticed that Dolby Pro Logic II will make it sound closer to the Dolby Digital sound I get w/ Xbox or DVD, but not as good.

Why is this? Is there any way to improve the sound on the satellite? Should I really care that much?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 416
Sounds like a broadcast problem or it is possible your receiver is experiencing switching difficulty. I would guess the former. Check with your satellite provider. Not particularly unusual for DVD to sound better than broadcast.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 120
do you have dd selected in the setup menu as default?

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 69
Only the PPV channels and certain channels with "DD" are broadcast in Dolby Digital. Most channels are not. Check the website for exact channels.

Unfortunately, this is a problem with Dish that they will be addressing soon. Very disappointing to spend the $$ for the Audio system to find that you cannot use for the Sat feed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us