Home theater speakers position dilemma?

Bronze Member
Username: Bp11139

Post Number: 17
Ok heres the deal. Recently I received my Onkyo 770 system. 6 speakers and a sub. I am currently remodeling the room (loft) the system will be in. The room is 11ft by 14 ft. The whole room is done besides the front wall which for the most part the entertainment center will be custom built in. Only problem is that I am not too sure where to put the speakers for the best sound I can get out of them. I just have a few questions to ask, also i spent some time drawing a few pictures of what I am thinking of doing, so please take a look at them (so it doesnt seem like all my time and effort has gone to a waste=)) to get a better picture of what I am talking about.

OK.. first off, is it true that all the speakers SHOULD be about ear level of where you are sitting?

Next, is it ok that I have the front left and right and the rear left and right speakers to be a little bit higher than ear level? Also then the front center and rear center will be alot higher than ear level, but be angled down towards the listening spot (couch)?

I have the dilemma of where to put the center speaker. If you look at the first speaker you'll know what I am talking about. I either want to put the center speaker right on top of the tv so it will be more ear level. OR I would like to put it a bit high so it is sticking out of the wall yet angled down towards the couch. I would rather have it angled down to towards me because of the simple fact, I think it would look better. But yet I would rather get a better sound. SO PLEASE any help.

Last the back left and right speakers will be a little bit higher than ear level. They will be connect to the wall on wall mounts and angled a bit towards the couch. Should I make them a bit lower or higher or what?

Not much I can really do about the rear center, In a problem there. But it will be angled down. Any suggestions would really help.

All the speakers are around 7 an half ft from the couch. So it will be pretty equal. Just the heights of them I am not too sure about.

Please, any input would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

(first image is the over view of the room)
(second image is the front view, the built in entertainment center)
(last image is the back of the room)

DAMN IT!! the thing says the images are too large to post. Whats with that? They are simple drawings i did in the paint program. DAMN IT! took me a while to do and I am sure the hell not going to draw them again smaller. I hope you guys can still help with what i said.

Username: Max190

Maryland Heights, Missouri US

Post Number: 9
"OK.. first off, is it true that all the speakers SHOULD be about ear level of where you are sitting?"

No

"Next, is it ok that I have the front left and right and the rear left and right speakers to be a little bit higher than ear level? Also then the front center and rear center will be alot higher than ear level, but be angled down towards the listening spot (couch)?"

Its ok to have your RF/LF a little higher than your listening position. If you like the way the center looks mounted high versus sitting on your TV, then do it. Just make sure to angle it down.

IMO I think it is better to have your surrounds mounted high. I would not angle them at the listening position. You want to diffuse the sound.

After setting everything up be sure to calibrate your system... speaker levels, distance, and EQ.

Good Luck

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us