Caring for your speakers

Username: Tymetwister

Post Number: 1
What do people recommend for upkeep and maintanance for your home speakers and receivers? Are there any recommended cleaning products or methods out there?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 501
Absolutely nothing.....

Except for the typical dusting your components with a damp cloth, there is no maintenance necessary for electronics or speakers.

Every 10 years or so, you might consider snipping and restripping your speaker wire connections to refresh the connection, but that's about it.

Username: Max190

Maryland Heights, Missouri US

Post Number: 10
Chris,

A light dusting an plenty of ventilation will keep your AVR happy.

About every 4 months I apply lemon oil to my speakers, plus I check and tighten all the screws that are used to mount the drivers.

Username: Tymetwister

Post Number: 2
thanks guys... I actually tried these anti-static cleaning wipes for my receiver and they seemed to clean it well (removed fingerprints and oil from touching). Came out looking brand new. Wal-Mart sells them for 4.99, manufacturer is nice'n clean.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 516
So now stores are trying to peddle anti-static audiophile receiver wipes??...........heheh

Geez......What's this world coming to?? We're only talking about dusting, right???

Any damp handtowel is all you need!! Dampen it with plain H2O for best results........Heh.

cost...........$.00, and the towel is machine washable.

One catch though.......
When you wash the hand towel after dusting, be sure to buy the Audiophonics agent-X stereo demagnetizing detergent before re-using said hand towel on bare skin. Otherwise, a nasty 7.1 home theater rash may develop and irritate your skin if the hand towel is not properly un-stereoized.

anony
Unregistered guest
Pretty much a no-brainer here but definately keep your speakers out of sunlight. Especially if they don't have grille covers.
Sunlight will quickly deteriorate most rubber and foam surrounds on speaker drivers.

Keep em' clean
Unregistered guest
Don't poke the speakers with sharp objects, you may damage the cone.

Don't drop the speakers from first (or higher) floor windows. This may cause the cabinets to break.

Don't cover your speakers in bird seed, then release 20 parrots into your cinema room. This may cause the speakers to become soiled.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 136
also don't go to the bathroom on your speakers as this may not only damage them but there is a chance of electric shock with a number one.

Username: Santora

Post Number: 9
And NEVER ever mount them in the shower
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us