CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS

Dan Mastro
considering a 300.5 csw system. i see no conversations regarding csw. is this good or bad?
tried an mc300 speaker on existing stereo system and it lacked highs. need to use compact speakers as wife is tired of wires and speakers on the floor.
comments please
thanks, dan

Anonymous
I used to live up in New England, and I have always heard good things about CSW.

It seems that CSW isn't sold in many stores outside of the Northeast and California. I mainly mean via either little independant dealers/shops or by chain stores. So they are hard to find. Which is sorta surprising since Creative bought them a few years ago. I know that they sell their stuff through hifi.com too...But there is no substitute for listening before buying speakers.

I just purchased a system in the last month and I could not find a CSW dealer in my area and I live in a major city...

Anonymous
Dan,

I'm not familiar with the 300.5 csw system, but my dad has the csw movieworks system from two or three years ago. "Center Stage" center channel speaker, 12 inch "Basscube 12" sub, dipole/bipole surrounds. It sounds great. Very dynamic and smooth. The main and surround speakers are compact, but the center and sub are conventional size (12 inch sub; center has two 5 1/4 inch drivers).

Username: Pete_d

Post Number: 3
Dan:

I am also comsidering the 300.5 system expanded to a 7.1 layout. The speakers sounded good to me - powered by a Marantz 5300. Hawk said some decent things about them in one of the other threads. As you probably know, Henry Kloss (Advent, KLH) started the company originally. If you look at Consumer reports, which is only so valuable because of liimited selection, the CSW speakers rank pretty high is some categories, particularly for accuracy, which IMHO is important for home theater. The S300 surrounds are neat because they can be used in bipole, dipole, or direct modes, depending on you needs. I started a thread looking for input on these as well.

Username: Joe_s

Post Number: 5
I was going to buy a CSW center speaker, but that CR article last month rated it pretty low. Boston Accoustics rated higher. Anybody used that one? They liked the CSW bookshelf speakers, though. Joe

Username: Edison

Post Number: 301
I like them a lot for the price - as good Bose for a lot less. Stereophile magazine used to say they are the best value in speakers in America - 1990s time.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us