Hiding wires

Username: Superjojo

Post Number: 1
just bought a new house, and I'm getting ready to set up the whole home theater. the wife doesn't like exposed wires. what's the best way or is there anyway to hide the wires running to the rear speaker. (Onkyo 6.1 receiver with Klipsch speakers) probably going to use stnads to hold the speakers

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 115
wires can be hidden blow baseboard where applicable and then you can run the wires up corners or next to doorway trim and cover with masking tape then paint same as wall or trim,

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 503
Yep,

I've concealed mine under trim where I could, and stapled it around molding the best I could so that you dont notice the wire at all unless you look for it. Im running 7.1 surround too, and that's a lot of wire to hide......

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 68
Check out Parts Express: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=56&Object Group_ID=370

These TapeWire and FlatWire products should meet the need. Have used TapeWire and found to be perfect for those "Wife" requirements.

Username: Superjojo

Post Number: 2
thanks for the ideas, but how exactly am I supposed to run the wires under the carpet when it's all ready laid? do i cut the carpet and run it through, or do I go to an air vent. I'm thinking I may just bring someone in to tke care of it, but I'd rather do it myself, and save myself some cash if possible

Chaswitta
Unregistered guest
If you already have carpet - your job is easier. First - Rent a carpet stretcher from your local hardware/tool rental store. Second - Pull up the portion of the carpet where the wires will run. Third - Replace the carpet using the stretcher on the existing nailers that run the perimeter of the room

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 71
Using a carpet stretcher for the first time, especially with nice woodwork, can be a daunting (and disappointing) task. Removing carpet from tack strip can also ruin the jute backing on the carpet making the restretch nearly impossible. Also power stretched portions (long walls) can leave you with puckers when it gets humid out.

Now having nearly bashed the last guy's suggestion, (sorry) I'm really leading you away from under-carpet solutions. Unless you can route the wire completely away from traffic areas and the fact that your carpet is newly placed this probably isn't the best approach.

The TapeWire mentioned above can be painted and it sticks to walls or woodwork making it virtually invisible. If you still have to run under carpet to get to your speaker, try using a fiberglass rod to push the wire under the carpet through a small slit hidden from view.

my 2¢
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us