Denon AVR3805 Receiver

Brett
Unregistered guest
This looks like the dream receiver for 2004. Does anyone know online dealers who carry it?

http://audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/AudioholicsReviewDenonAVR-3805. html

Username: Kevininaustin

Post Number: 2
do you know anything about the denon avr 2803?

Username: Adehart

Post Number: 1
I've been told by Crutchfield and some others that it won't be available to mid or end of March. I'm waiting for its release too.

There is information and, if I recall correctly, a prerelease version of the manual on Denon's web site.

Anonymous

Crutchfield now has the Denon AVR-3805 in stock.

jim s
Unregistered guest
I bought one today at Good Guys for same price as Crutchfield has it advertised. Cr website says not available.

I feel Denon really dropped the ball on this one.

First thing, the micophone for the automatic setup is a $65 extra-cost option. Mind you, this is a $2 electret microphone.

Second thing, for a $1200 street-price set, there is not a gold-plated connector anywhere. This is likely a 5-cent saving to Denon, heck, let's give at 50-cent rating.

Third thing is the speaker terminals. They might as well have installed the spring clips as they would be easier to use unless you have banana plugs on your speaker cables.
Terminals are too close together to use easily (not uncommon, but at $1200?)
Terminals will not accept spade lugs of any kind whatsoever. Will accept a bare wire, but not through a hole in the pin. Wire must go in alongside the threaded shank of the terminal, then screw down the cap, but the cap does not have metal on its underside, so only plastic contacts the wire on one side and metal on the other side of the wire. You also cannot wrap the wire around the threaded post because plastic guards prevent this. Yup, I think spring clips will be as good electrically as these poor excuses for terminals.

After 2 hours I haven't even hooked it up. Still wrestling with speaker wires (#14 stranded wire, not even monster).

I plan to return it tomorrow. I did buy it for the DSP capabilities including room equalization, but don't think it worth the hassle.

It is too much of a piece of crap so far as these terminals are concerned.
Harmon Kardon gives you what you want even in a $500 receiver.

There are no power out specs for any more than two channels driven.

I used to respect Denon - not any more.
Maybe for $4000, you get something mechanically satisfying, but not at this level with Denon.

Sorry for the long gripe, but I've never been so frustrated.

Jim S
Unregistered guest
After the gripe on speaker terminals, I went on to connect and operate and run through the equalization process.

I must say, that the 3805 seems to deliver all it promises.

The equalization worked exceptionally well with my own electret instrumentation microphone that plugged right into the front panel. After equalization is complete, you can view the settings. The final settings all seemed reasonable from what I already knew of my speaker's response curves and room response.

The distance settings were made in 1/10 foot increments which is much better than some units that only allow 1 foot settings.

All in all, I'm relatively happy with the electronics - which is why I selected this unit in the first place. Just cannot imagine Denon's save-a-buck speaker terminal selection. If I could only trade with the Harmon Kardon 325 terminals, I'd be happier.

Final thought - Go out and buy one. Twist the strands of your speaker wire, and solder the ends together so that the connections will work with the Denon terminals. Don't be surprised that when you tighten the terminal cap, the feeling is soft as you clamp down. That is because the plastic surface of the cap is being deformed by the wire.

Then enjoy the electronic capabilities of the 3805.

Bronze Member
Username: Cargoil

San Diego, Ca US

Post Number: 33
Jim S: Sorry you had the problem with the terminals. I did have banana plugs so I didn't really notice. The mic not there was a BS move by Denon (used my sons mic from a Yamaha 2400) but I too love the sound I'm getting out of this receiver. The setup using the mic is very precise and seems to work well in my room environment. It does have a beefy bigger power feel to it. Which I enjoy. I hope you decide to keep it and enjoy it's many great qualities.

Username: Ebr4398913

Columbus, OH USA

Post Number: 1
I just ordered mine today, should be here early next week...It's great to see the initial positive responses.

Anonymous

I noticed the lack of gold plating on the interconnects on the rear. What's the benefit of that? Something to do with oxydization, I'm guessing. I managed to pick up some audioquest type 4's with banana terminators to go with at a most excellent discount, and after reading about the terminals I'm really glad I pushed for them as most stores in my area only stock spade-terminated cables, and force you to special-order anything with bananas. Viva la ebay. Thanks for that reaffirming heads-up.

I ordered mine on Saturday, and it'll get here in two Tuesdays. Lucky me, I had to want silver instead of smudge-lovin black.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us