Archive through January 05, 2005

JustGotScammed
Unregistered guest
They are in Boston now...I just got scammed. I called the police about an hour after the "transaction". Same M.O.: white van, two guys, selling speakers. BEWARE!!!

Anonymous

I was driving to get lunch and I had a white van pull next to me and the driver told me about these speakers he had to get rid of before his boss found out. I usually say no to offers like this but I figured I would see what they had. I made the mistake of buying 4 for $460 (hurts to think about it). I got the TR-1410 models. They are nice, and I think are worth it, but I feel like I got taken for a ride after reading all this. I will take this as a learning experience, after I stop banging my head against the wall.

Bronze Member
Username: Okiecaver

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 45
OK, after a few weeks research and talking to online vendors, here is what I've discovered.

If you want TR speakers, go to an online dealer like AV Outlet or Speaker-City. In both cases they sell only the models they have personally auditioned. Ken at AV outlet went so far as to steer me away from the models with the 4 inch or less midranges, calling them "weak". AV Outlet has a Bricks and Mortar where you can go listen.

He also confirmed what Jack Cline said, that what was being sold out of the vans were seconds and bottom level models, not much more than computer speakers and and definitly not hi-fi. Most physical problems seemed to stem from them being thrown from truck to truck as unsold units were shuttled about

He also admitted that the inflated prices were a useless marketing ploy, that while not worth that much they were well worth the 300 to 500 he was asking. He expressed a wish that TR would give that up and stop selling them thru the street vendors.

In all cases set up is critical. They are not plug and play units, but need to be properly set up. A good amp with a minimum of 100 watts RMS, 20-20K. Heavy (14 gauge or bigger) cables, biwired if possible with jumpers removed. Spiked feet or a spider base to de-couple them from the floor. Experiment with placement. Some like the side mounted woofers facing out, some like them facing in. Subs should be in a corner or next to a wall, on a hard surface.

In both cases they preferred the 2810 (polk clone) and the 1610 (Sonus faber clone). The ten in. woofer gave extra oomph while the 42 inch height made sure that the tweeter and mids were at seated ear level.

From my personal observation, the TR site is a full featured site, just recently updated with new products. A con job would not leave anything that could be traced up for that long, much less go to the expense of updating it.

Also- a HUGE segment of the Hi-Fi industry has discovered OEMing speakers in China. Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, amongst others purchase models and have their brand slapped on them. I don't hear anyone squawking over those, and they still use those crappy spring clips.

So, like anything else, do your homework, don't let yourself be pressured, and if you buy them and like them, don't let anyone make you feel guilty or stupid. It's your money and your ears.

Happy listening,
Brock

Unregistered guest
DAMN IT! WHY DID I BUY THIS DAMN TR-502 SYSTEM!?!?
I don't need it. just one guy sold it to me with the same story (gotta sell them off before he meets up with boss). DAMN IT! DAMN IT! DAMN IT!
Any one wanna buy a tr-502 surround sound home theater system? price? i dunno, e-mail me. goxfreak@yahoo.com

Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 1
Don't sweat it, gull. Here's what you do:

You rent a white van.....

Username: Paradox

I own the TR2900, actually bought from EBAY, not regretting of being ripped off or coned in a parking lot, however then I had not visited this forum yet, otherwise I would have doubded buying those speakers. I paid $100 no shipping, just picked them up. I really like the design of those speakers, they look great, I use a Harman Kardon receiver, rated at 75 watt per channel, I also noted that Brock suggested that a receiver should be rated at least 100 watt per channel, but there is a catch right there, because even the manufacturers of the receivers misrepresent the wattage, HK beats any Sony, Pioneer, Denon etc rated up to 110 or 120 watt per channel. Anyway, before I used a pair of KLH speakers, no built in subs, cost me about $160, more than 1 year ago, but the TR 2900 sound clearer, and I figured since they are digital series and KLH are not, the TR sound more metalic, and more powerful. I recently bought them, I agree that they are not plug and play, they need adjustment, my receiver I believe more than powers them, if someone uses a HK, when I use those speakers without a sub besides the one they have built in, and use theater or hall mode, the HK sends out very amplified bass, and the built in subs of the TR shake, even sound distorted from the power. Actually, those speakers seem to aim to the quality of $400 a pair, but I believe that Infinity speakers, Polk, JBL are better, get what you pay for. I have to experiment with the adjustment of these speakers, I am not biwiring them yet, I ought to give it a try soon, so far I am satisfied with their sound, and their look in particular.

BTW, do these white van boys sell only speakers, 4 years ago, my roomate, bought a professional Minolta camera for $30 from a white van, the comments of this site just reminded me, I did not know that TR were also sold in white vans, I remember my roomate saying that the camera was not a very good quality as expected....anyaway...

The speakers seem packed well, nice design, decent sound, now in the back I expected them to have the auto switch for the subs, they just have on and off, I do not know what they mean by signal sensing, subs are always on, I suppose no one would like to flip the switch anytime he/she turns on the receiver. As for the weight, I expected them to be a bit heavier, they are about 40-45 pounds each: actually in the TR 2900, the right speaker is heavier than the other one because that is the one that has the built in amp, the other (left) is connected to the right via a wire that powers the other sub. The right speaker has the phase and volume adjustement for the subs. In my opinion the bass response is not bad at all at least for the TR 2900. It's probably true, from waht I have read above that other people who bought from white vans, bought lower end models, maybe as one reviewer stated before, they sell the lower end ones.

Back to the majority's conclusion: If you pay about $200, a pair of these speakers would be worthy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Agree with Paradox ! HK, Marantz, some JVC, Denon, and Pioneer Elite will give you the Magic so many watts at 20-20k, at a specified distortion rate. Mechanically you want something with BIG capacitors, so you have plenty of reserve current. I plan on bi- amping, using the subwoofer feed from my Shure Hts 5300 Processor into an Adcom power amp, saving the 100 wpc from my integrated amp for mid and treble

Pay attention to the THD - the lower the number the better since that tells you how hard the amp is driven to get that wattage. Beware of 1% or higher, or anything stating "Peak Power" or just 1 Khrtz . Those are meaningless.

Paradox, the plate amp on the 2900 (I'm guessing) should be left on. After a few minutes with no signal it goes to standby. Turn it off only in case of electrical storm or leaving home for a few days.

That camera was probably a Chinese or Russian counterfeit, which IS illegal to sell.

Happy Listening
Brock

Unregistered guest
I bougth some T1000 from a hispanic guy in Houston.. paid $150 for them... he said same whole story bout extras and all that crap... but he tested them for me with a 1200 ROckForD WATT amp and they rocked.. so i brought him down from $500 to $150... i still own those speakers .. 2 years now.. and im pimpin in my tahoe.. with some serious bass sounds... these are descent speakers... and handle great... email me for pics.. and sound clips..

Mike2222131113
Unregistered guest
just got scammed myself... i bought tr-501s from a white ram van with license plates 5l9944j. 2 white guys talked to me about this, one had tattoos on his arm, hes the one that talked to me, the other sat in the car. sigh... now im off to sell these speakers myself

Unregistered guest
My husband was approached by a guy in a blue van in Pasadena, TX today. It just so happened that I called my husband on his cell in the middle of the scam. He was about to pay $300 for some speakers and a stereo. The scammer told my husband that a local strip club had ordered all the equipment and that the manufacturer had over loaded the truck. He said the strip club didn't catch the error and paid the invoice (the guy even had some kinda BS invoice too) and that he decided to sell the leftovers on his own and make some cash. He told my husband they were worth $3000 or some crazy s*!$ like that. HELLO! BIG RED FLAG! Anyone who is going to "sell the leftovers" has GOT to be a shady character. Of course my husband really wanted them anyway but I told him no, that we couldn't afford it now anyway and that something wasn't right about this whole thing. GOOD THING I DID. After my husband turned the guy down, the scammer immediately left. I think he may have been paranoid because I was asking a million questions over the phone. I asked my husband the brand of the speakers and he told me they were called Theater Research. COME ON! Who has EVER heard of that? I started checking into it because I was sure it was a scam of some sort and thats how I ended up here. This kind of crap makes me so angry. Sorry to all you that purchased the products and have had nothing but trouble. I am sure had I not called my husband when I did, we would have been the proud owner of some crappy A*! stereo and speakers too. I hope that this company is stopped one day but from what I have read it would be hard to do because they aren't really breaking any laws.

Unregistered guest
GOOD ADVICE BY 360PILOT...BOSE IS WAY OVER PRICED EVEN THE BOSE 901 SERIES 6, I USED TO OWN THE BOSE 901 5 SERIES. i GOT THEM AT $700 while I was stationed in okinawa in 1984...they're worth that much..but not the US DOLLAR $1400..
yOU CAN GET EMINENT TECHNOLOGY, MAGNEPANS, AAD,
OHM, KLIPSCH, INFINITY, APOGEE, MARTIN LOGANS, FINAL .03 OR .04, INNERSOUND, ACOUSTATS(no longer in business)to name a few...If you want REAL HIGH END SPEAKERS...i HAVE MAGNEPANS AND SRSLABS KLAYMAN SIGNATURES....THEY ARE AWESOME IN SOUNDSTAGE BUT NEEDS A SUBWOOFER/AMPLIFIED.
MSRP:$1200 50TH ANNIVERSARY...$300 CHECK THEM OUT PEOPLE AT WWW.SRSLABS.COM they make the circle suround II on your higher grade and end kenwood receivers...I have the theater research tr-1610 and 1611 they sound great for the price but don't compare them with the high end speakers I mentioned. I COLLECT MIDIUM GRADE AND HIGH END SPEAKERS FOLKS and test them with my STRANGE AND COMPLEX SYSTEM...10 different signal processors like BBE sonic maximizer, peavey kosmos, srslabs pro-200, APHEX aurel exciters, carver sonic holography, ACOUSTIC RESEARCH TDS-202, ALESIS compressor/expander/limiter/gate, pyramid amps and eq's along with CARVER, CARVER AMPS/PREAMPS
with PIONEER ELITE RECEIVERS...I use DAKIOM FEEDBACK STABILIZERS HR/RA-103, VARIOUS MONSTER CABLES...Does anyone here know what I'm talking about? With these equipment, you can test your speaker system of just how good they are, in fact it can make CHEAP OR LOW QUALITY SPEAKERS COME ALIVE..like one of the gentlemen said: GOOD EQUIPMENT WILL MAKE THEM SOUND GOOD...
theater research speakers make good sounding speakers for the GENERAL PUBLIC...just because they are foreign doesn't make them bad.
After all, plenty of awesome high end manufacturers in GERMANY, AUSTRALIA WITH APOGEE, FINLAND, ITALY like MONSOON, and our GOOD OL USA with MAGNEPANS AND MARTIN LOGANS...don't forget about our brothers...ENGLISH WHAFERDALES,QUADS, CELESTION,B&W,and so forth...GET THE POINT!
background: 25 yrs in audio...former high end home theater installer for convoy audio/video, one of many I worked for..1 yr...electronic technician vocational college...etc.

The problem is for the ANGRY critics is that you compare APPLES AND ORANGES..you can't! They are different fruits...different tastes for different people...NOT ALL mainstream brands make good or equal speaker models....NAME DON'T MEAN QUALITY...it's the USER that determines that...
Just read the reviews by all the audiophiles who argue back and forth of which HIGH END SPEAKERS SOUND GOOD TO THEM using $5000-10000 tube amps and preamps...There is no such thing as SUPERIOR...IT IS ONLY SUPERIOR to the person who APPROVES OF THEM...for some JBL'S are good, for some it's crap, the same for BOSE or any other manufacturer...MAGNEPANS nor the SRSLABS klayman signature doesn't put a whole lot of bass, cause they are PLANAR/RIBBONS not conventional cones but the soundstaging like martin logans etc..are awesome very live and realistic...CARVER SILVER EDITION, that's an awesome speaker system no longer manufactured, for some they would prefer that over the quads or INNERSOUND OR SOUNDLAB OR MARTIN LOGANS...
Go to www.audiogon.com IF YOU WANT REAL HIGH END SPEAKERS!

My suggestion, if you like what you buy then keep it...plenty of retailers like best buy and frys or tweeter sell speakers that are no better quality at a heftier price than these foreign mid grade speakers designed for the average consumer. by the way...I also bought fluance tower speakers for my brother who's an electrical engineer, he loves them...Theater research speakers are no different...they are inexpensive but good to decent quality like FLUANCE, JENSEN(bought for my sister), streem, and the lists go on...Many of these manufacturers have realized that there is a need for good quality, PEOPLE OR CONSUMER FRIENDLY PRICES for speakers and other electronic component...the major brands are starting to realize that too! It's only a SCAM if it doesn't work! WWW.CANYONAUDIO.COM WWW.AVOUTLET.COM WWW.4SEATING.COM are various online sites that sell these LEGALLY! the msrp on these are FABRICATIONS...marketing ploy! they are worth in the $200-$500 range depending on the models...If you're a WHINER...go buy HIGH END! www.audiogon.com or if you want a good deal on planars, www.srslabs.com the klayman signatures are reviewed on the C.E.S SHOW or consumer electronic show in las vegas nevada in 2002...THEY RETAILED FOR $1200 at that time...they are selling it for $300....great sound, great price...but buy a JBL, EARTHQUAKE, CARVER, ALTEC LANSING or whatever subwoofer for them...
PEACE...
US ARMY SCOUT
audio-guru
armyscout42

SpeakerMack
Unregistered guest
Oh please, listen to the fools claiming they got a good set. ANYONE will claim they got a good deal instead of admitting they were scammed like an idiot.

Here's a test. Go buy a set of speakers for about , oh, half of what you paid for your Dahlton / Theater Research/ Dynalab / Dogg junk.

If you paid $300 for a couple of towers, spend $150 on some good bookshelfs at Best Buy. Hey you can return them on your card no problem.

Now hook one set up on a good amp as set A and the other as B.

Put the volume at an equal level (and high) and see/hear the difference.

There are several sites that HAVE actually done objective testing and measurement of these speakers and they come out like you expect - crap that might cost $60 to make. Oh and another hint - they are NOT biamplified. Open them up if you have guts. It's all wired together inside!

Dont fool yourselves. You got scammed and you paid probably 6-7 times what you should have paid, and they are garbage, and can be proven as garbage in side by side subjective and objective testing next to speakers that cost the same as what you paid.

Start dealing with it and be free from denial. Dont like what I just said? TOUGH. Go get a set from Best Buy like I said and test it yourself.

signed,

A fellow scammee who knows the difference

Post Number: 2
Back again!

I opened them up! actually I did not get in detail to the biamp section, but I was surprised that there are no capacitors inside, no crossover boards, the woofers are just soldered in serial, no direct crossover. However surprisely enough these speakers do not distort no matter how high you push them. Brock do you have any answer for this?!

Post Number: 3
By the way,

in the TR website, a plasma TV is advertised. These people should know something in order to produce a plasma TV, how can anyone explain this! This is really weird!

Suckered a month ago
Unregistered guest
From Langley, BC, Canada. Got scammed last month, you guys know the story. Just set them up last week with a new JVC Reciever I got from futureshop.ca, haven't had the chance to blast them, (got them hooked to an Xbox, Gamecube and PC-DVD), but they do sound clear. HOWEVER, a warning to all that use the 5.1 system, watch out for that center reciever. It is NOT sheilded. I began to notice purple discoloartion around the top of my tv. When I took the speaker away, so did the discoloration dissapear. I have the center on the floor now.

Although I feel jipped, I guess more than anything, I'm happy they atleast work, and are clear, albeit bass is non-existant. I'll have to get a new sub from somewhere.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Hi Paradox

Not having seen the insides I can't say for sure but on most plate amps used for amplified subs, the crossover is in the amp case itself. That explains there just being some wires leading up to the mid-woofers and tweeters, if I am understanding you right.

As for the ED plasma screen again I'm sure they bought it from the same plant that makes them for some of the no name brands u see at Comp USA and Walmart. However, I could be wrong on that.

UMMMM SpeakerMack? Comparing anything with Bose will not end up in Bose' favor. They are notorious for their 8 Khz dip in FR and cheap buzzing plastic cabinets. They have been trading on ole' Amar's name for too long and they need to be taken to task for it. After all if we are going to gripe about marketing practices, how many high fidelity companies need infomercials to push their product?

Do us a favor, give us a list of all these comparisons. I know of two and they were NOT Theater Research speakers.

happy listening
Brock

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Suckered,

Despite what any speaker company may say, never put ANY magnet near a tv screen. For a speaker to be truly sheilded you'd need a bunch of lead completely encasing the speaker. In which case you'd hear nothing.

Check the plate amp on your unit (what model is it) and see if you have sub amp turned off. If not, what inputs and out puts do you have on it. If you are using your receiver in DTS mode or Dolby Digital, it may be seperating the bass out, and if your sub out is not connected to the sub, you may not be getting anything.

Again, I'd have to know what model and how you have it set up.

PM me if you need more.

Happy listening
Brock

Anonymous

Latest White Van Guys sighting:

South Town Plaze in Rochester, NY.

Selling TR-1120's for at least 200 bucks.

I laughed at them and took off in my car losing them before they could turn around and follow me.

Unregistered guest
Yup it's a nation wide scam. I got taken in the east san francisco bay area.. i'm waiting to run in to them or the next guy....I'm going to take all they have. I think i'll also call the cops and let them know they sold me an empty box that way it's robbery.

Anyone want to get these guys e-mail me and I'll drop u my number that way if anyone runs into them call me and l will get THEM!!!

Lets network to catch these guys or JACK THEM RIGHT BACK.

Anonymous

They are nation wide I got some in Newburyport Ma last year.They needed money for the strip club.I got the 8000 and some 10" car subs.400 for all.The car subs suck you need at least a 1000 watt amp to power them with out overloading the amp.My rockfords blow them out of the water.The 8000 are ok they don't compare to my roomates veiga's though.Good luck all.
PS Anyone wanna buy the goldengate bridge.

someguy
Unregistered guest
thes is the bestest speekers i ever hear. you cant go wrong with them. if you lucky enuff to see these deals, i wood defenetly by them. peace.

Username: Enmityjack

Newport Beach, CA USA

Post Number: 10
Good news, I am going to start carrying CERWIN VEGA speakers towards the end of this week along with Speaker relate furniture (Multi Colored hand made CD Racks, etc) along with the current Theater Research Speakers...

www.speaker-city.com

Unregistered guest
Does any1 own or know about (TR-2801), its the center and rear speakers. Is it magnecticly sheilded? How far away should I put them from my tv and my receiver?

email me: heartbeatct@hotmail.com

Username: Ripped_off

Yeah They where here in Nova Scotia today , got scammed can't believe I fell for it. Got the 8100 for 300 CDN They are driving a purple dodge mini van , with New Brunswick Plates .If I see them again ...... They are going to get a thumping !!!!!!

Anonymous

got me...

newport, RI. Same story. decent speakers though

Suppy7
Unregistered guest
I have some TR1120s for sale
still sealed in box
asking 250 OBO

suppy7@gmail.com

up sheets crik
Unregistered guest
it happened to me in albany,NY... $300 was the magic #, lol it has made me realize that a person can have his foot in his mouth while having his head up his butt. at least my wife took it well :-@

Anonymous

Here is the cell phone number of a guy in Culver City, near a Pavillions market that took my money:
310-621-9726

White, unmarked, dodge van.
Where is the class-action lawsuit on these tax-evading scam-artists?

friz
Unregistered guest
yea this hot chick got me in Long Beach, CA. she sold me the TR-6020 for $200. i havent tested it yet, but after finding this forum i am going to do it tonight. i will report tomorrow with my findings.

Username: Greengto33

PEOPLE PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS! Hi, my name is Brett, and i got scammed. Yes i got scammed at an Exxon today in Houston. Same ordeal but i was lucky enough to get a business card! if anyone wants to get these freaks... email me and we can pursue them to the end... GreenGTO33@cs.com

Username: Jameel

just bought theater research tr-501 digital series from two guys in winter park fl. said the boss would take them home if they took them back to work. one guys name was paul and said he lived in deltona. sold it to me for $200. sound familier? said i own him a beer?

Unregistered guest
Theater Research 8000. (6pc. 200w. Powered sub.)
I have 200 sets left. $400, cash or check. Free delivery and installation to all of Montreal.

Ive been standing behind my products and warranties for six years. Any satisfied or unsatisfied customers, feel free to reach me.

Thanks, Everyone
Simon

P.S. I will be returning to the Los Angeles, Ca. area early 2005. See you there!

Unregistered guest
By the way, You can observe the TR8000 series online at trtheaterresearch.com

Take care.

Username: Chrisorton

Fairfax, Ia Usa

FOR SALE a set of TR 2800 Towers $350.00 And TR 7000 Home theater System $350 Email Me Hunterrileyconstrution@msn.com

Username: Rahnikj

Post Number: 2
hey guys i want to buy these speakers at arround 300 dollars seem alright just need the honest people they guy in montral can call me up too i am interseted in 1610 and 1611 package i am in Surrey email me @# rahnikj@yahoo.com thanks

Username: Rahnikj

Post Number: 3
Simon Peter i am interested i want 1610 and 1611 though i am in Surrey B.C and anybody in lower mainland Vancouver area selling these can contact me to sell i wanna buy thanks
rahnikj@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
I have a TR-7000, still in its original box, still in the original packaging. I want to sell them, and am willing to negotiate a price. contact me @ broncos_gal@yahoo.com.

Unregistered guest
Spokane, Washington

I was aproached in a shopping center parking lot. The guy followed me to my bank. Same ol' sales pitch. Consumer ordered six speakers, company sent six pairs. He even had an invoice for his earlier sale that day, and a wad of several hundred dollars. I paid $300 for a pair of 1610's. Pretty satisfied so far. This guy was in a brand new pickup truck. Very nice. (It was a blue Dodge Ram Quad Cab for any other Spokane and vicinity residents out there.) Shows how much of a killing these guys are making out there. He was very pushy. I suggest asking questions to thwart the salesmen, as they cannot always come up with the answers and it makes them uncomfortable.

Unregistered guest
Yep, I just got scammed too! I thought that I was getting an off the hook deal. I never heard of TR before. So when I got home, I jumped on the internet to look up this company, and I saw this forum, and felt like a retard. So I was worried, then I plugged them in, and they are really not that bad, I guess. But for an extra $60 more, I probably could of gotten a nice JVC set that seems to be more legit, if ya know what I mean! But thank god that I didn't spend more than $240 for them, or I would really be bummed out.

Unregistered guest
Same old QUOTES...?

"i read a few posts and felt sick In the meantime they are still in the box and Im wondering if they are crap or if they are even slightly worth wasting my hard earned cash on"

I said BEFORE, not Bose, Not Polk....But, if you have a budget, and want some quality sound...Then do it. What can you lose? 300 or $400? And...? It is not 1700 like bose....

Listen, please.
Open the Box, set them up, insert Planet of the Apes in you DVD player - Enjoy. Very simple. I get comments all the time. Also, remember - PLACEMENT is key. You just can't have a woofer siting anywhere....So, please - take a moment - Relax and set em' up....

scobad
scott.badger@siemens.com

TB69396
Unregistered guest
Hey Paradox, I don't know what you are trying to say about Denon, but you are wrong. H/K is good, but I've owned both and the H/K stuff is not as good as Denon. And to think that it is not real power is a joke. I have had two H/K's and now two Denon's. The Denon is a superior amplifier side by side. The Sonys and Kenwoods of the world do pretty much bite though, so we do agree on that.

As for the scam, my buddy saw these on Ebay and since I am somewhat of an audio junky, I told him I would check it out. NO DICE.

spkrworld
Unregistered guest
Damn yo....these are the best speakers for the money. U can't beat it. My pockets are lined in green from sellin these. Most days, I have to go back to the warehouse to get more.

I see that there are a lot of hatas on here but thats aight. I've never had any complaints, but then again I don't give out my cell #.

If you get the chance to get these, jump on it. I'm out!

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 49
If they are so great, why do you have to lie to sell them?

Yeah, I'm kicking against the goads again.

eleven
Unregistered guest
Same ol' story. White van, Home Depot/Best Buy parking lot. I needed a cheap system SO I said what the hell. Offered $100 for a tR501. He said no, that his boss needed at least $200. Told him that maybe we could work out a deal. I offered him $100 PLUS a car DVD player and monitor. He jumped at the opportunity. I paid him, and gave him the stuff. I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I got exactly what I expected and didn't feel ripped off as I knew what I was getting into.

I'm even happier with the fact that the DVD player and monitor had been broken for over a year. Wish I could see the look on his face when he powers it up.

Unregistered guest
salut moi j'ai acheter les tr_5210 a Montébello le 14 octobre 2004 meme hisoire meme guamique. Moi ce que je veu savoir c comment je peu en vendre de c'est speaker la? ca doit etre payent en sale pis en plus je ne connais pas beaucoup ca mais ils mon laire de bonne qualité pour avoir payer 200$ can. ci quelqu un peu me contacter pour de l'info j'aprécirai beaucoup. merci.

Anonymous

has anyone gotten any tr-9500's and if so plz tell me how they work i wanna know be4 i buy them

Anonymous

bought the tr-502 from a parking lot in SLC, UT, white van, same strory about boss and extra units, skeptical from the first but found i bought a great system for under 200$ anyone who gets ripped by these guys it's your fault for dealing with people selling s%$# out of a van with no abilities to haggle over the price, remember you did make the choice to buy from the back of a van....people. Otherwise your probobly some hi fi hater dork trying to stop people from cutting into their measly commision working for the MAN.....but atleast your products are sold honestly so everyone gets rich....except you. Maybe even someday the Bose rep will come by to let you sit in his Porsche.

Anonymous

anyone know if there is a fuse on any of the TR's? Moron in my house left the amp on with the cord laying on a leaky basement floor. Both subs seem to be blown. Any ideas?

ross
Unregistered guest
well, the statement is, if these speakers realy were worth the 2 grand they say they are you think the company would keep better track of them. You never see any energy or B&W speakers floating around

Anonymous

I purchased a pair of tr-2920 in the parking lot of the Target/TCF on Stinson or New Brighton Blvd. in NE Minneapolis. As I brought the speakers up to my buddies apartment, I noticed the print on them that says "model and price subject to change, does not reflect actual retail value in metro area." or something close to that. Very angry I returned to the parking lot and cornered the man, John Wright, into a spot. He agreed to refund money after relentless aggressive insistance on my part - only problem was I left the speakers at my buddies apartment. SO I made him give me back everything but his "cost" which he successfully tricked me into thinking was $230, so I got $220 of my cash back. I told him I'd be back with the speakers and he could give me the rest of my money back then. When I got back, he was long gone. I now have the 2 speakers for $230.

This summer I parked my car in my neighbor's driveway (the street was being washed or something) and left town to race in WI. The house itself is unoccuppied, so I figured, no big deal if I borrow the driveway. Well, the landlord came by and had my vehicle towed. I literally walked down the street to the towing company's lot and paid them $250 cash to get MY car back.

My friend reminded me of this as I was telling him about what happened. In one case, I lost 250 for nothing, in the other, I lost 230 on some cheap speakers (which I have not yet used so I can't comment on performance). In both cases I learned a lesson - if it is too good to be true, it is, every time! (free parking/great speakers for cheap).

Two years ago, I bought some cheap off-brand computer speakers from Target because they looked cool. I set them up and they sounded absolutely awful. I returned them. I can't really return these (although I almost could have/sort of did), but the point is that the Target speakers sounded like crap. So Target isn't exactly selling great stuff. (And my parents Daewoo DVD player from Best Try really sucks too)

All of this reminds me of the sunglasses deal in the sports magazines. The ones that advertize themselves as a new brand trying to make a name so all you have to do is pay way overpriced shipping costs for some free $175 top end glasses. Obviously, that's a joke, but my roommate ordered two pair. They turned out to be suprisingly decent glasses (as far as lense quality goes) and they looked awesome on him, so he bought some more of the same. I even borrow them sometime. I suspect these speakers will be somewhere between the that experience (acceptable despite the scam) and target speaker experience (pieces of junk despite the retailer), but at least it's not like getting my car towed....which to me is the single BIGGEST scam ever.

I plan on writing about this for my Law School Admissions essay. I have always wanted to practice consumer protection law, and this only fueled my fire. Whether it is big drug companies cutting corners to get dangerous meds out or insurance compaines withholding payouts to deserving customers, or just scammers in vans selling bogus speakers, I detest dihonest business. Hopefully 4 years from now I will be tackling some of these social injustices, but for now I'll have to just write extremely long posts.

To finish - what it really comes down to is greed. The buyer (me) is greedy, thinking he'll get some $5,000 set of speakers for free while screwing some dumb distributor who made a shipping mistake (which I justified as helping out a poor driver while screwing corporate America) and the seller is greedy, thinking it's ok to lie and cheat another person out of their money just because they can rather than being honest about their product and being fair in their business transactions.

So, buyers, sellers, stop being so greedy and learn to be content with what you have. Don't try to get something for nothing (whether buying or selling) and earn your money honestly. Then buy a homeless man some lunch or sponsor a child in Africa when you think you need to pad your life with some extra toys while people are literally starving to death. Those are just a couple of injustices stemming from the fact that Our collective LOVE of money is the root of all different types of EVIL.

- Just a dude trying to learn how to live like the Man.

EDCRONDEALER
Unregistered guest
same deal... southgate center mall edmonton alberta,
i walk out of the mall and as i walk across the crosswalk two guys in a green van ask if i want some house stereo speakers. they had towers and surround sound speakers. they showed me the ad selling the speakers for $1799.00. he asked seven hundred at first i laughed and said the most you will get out of me is two hundred. we setteled it at $220 and i gave him enough B.C. killer to roll a bat. i just brought them home and thought i'd try to look them up on the net to see if i got a good deal. the speakers weight a ton each i got the tr-1120 black oak digital tower speakers. after i hook them up i'll leave my reveiw.
PEACE;)

Anonymous

would you believe boss got extra orders and 1 system over....they tried getting $800 out of me...paid $180...i started @ $50 ...guy was a bit of a jack the lad he had style with his pitch..ended up selling me...they look ok ..i'm not worried at all....hey i've P&^%$'D $180 on a night out many times!!!!

wanda
Unregistered guest
I just bought the TR-6020D for $150.00 here in Beverlywood, Ca.
Same story.........two white guys, white van, extra units, Best Buy T-Shirts etc....
Is anyone familiar with this model???
Should I keep it?
Ciao.

Scott In Calgary canada
Unregistered guest
Hi i bought them too in calgary alberta canada. I luv them. For $200 there worth it. To the guyz who sold them to me get back out there in china town-calgary my friends want some too. But their only gonna give you $50 and i know you'll take it.

Anonymous

Well, I am interested in a set of tr-2800's here in TX, I intend to go to the ebay-ers house to pick them up if I can get the $250 and he will let me hook them to my 800WATT MAX Sony Car Amp to see how they sound (BTW: It said that each speaker would handle 400WATTS; Assume that is max and realize that my amp is a 400WATT RMS amp, but pushes 800MAX), As for what you get for under $200:
*Sony SE-501 (Not sure if that is Correct Model)
Receiver (5x 100WATTS)
*Sony Brand Center & Rear Speakers
*Paramount Pictures Main Speakers w/ 12"S
$175 @ a local resale shop.

I honestly Can't wait to try them.

Unregistered guest
Manhattan Beach, CA
35th Street around Valley

1 White guy, 1 Mexican driving a Mercury SUV. Said it was their Boss's wifes car and that they install home theatar systems in homes. He pulls up next to me at a qucik stop sign and starts honking telling me to roll my window down. He said he was selling speakers and told me to pull over. He showed me a JC catalog or soemthing like that and it showed retail price of like $2,500. The box said $2,200 or something, I thought that was odd that the price was on the box. I traded the guy my xbox, some games, my skate board, and $140 for 2. He had 2 more speakers, and some big box left. I got the TR-2840 speakers. They work and all, pretty good, but this whole thing dissapoints me :-( I was thinking it was a skam but I trusted them, let the thought go... They said they lived in San Diego and needed to unload the extra 2 that werent on the invoice or the boss would get them. They look nice so I don't care much. Any want any pictures of the white guy its on the Washington Mutual ATM machine at 4:19pm on 11/03/2004 at machine S1B08928. 201 Manhattan Beach BLVD. I will be happy to coperate with any law enforcement people on this.

Unregistered guest
Just got scamed. Two white guys in a van in Lexington, Ky. Sold me the T-R 503 digital series for $300.00. Though I would be able to make a profit off the deal, then I saw this board. If anyone is interested in these speakers email me ger8045@hotmail.com.

Unregistered guest
Just got scamed. Two white guys in a van in Lexington, Ky. Sold me the T-R 503 digital series for $300.00. Thought I would be able to make a profit off the deal, then I saw this board. If anyone is interested in these speakers email me ger8045@hotmail.com.

Anonomyous
Unregistered guest
Two white guys in a white van in Jacksonville, Florida area sold me a TR-8320 speaker for $120. They were very friendly, said the truck dropped off eight sets (four more than they needed) and had to get rid of them before the boss found out. I have not had any problems with it yet, and i'm even thinking about ordering the right speaker from ebay lol It was obviously a scam or just something stolen, but a $2,000 speaker supposedly for only $100 was irresitable. They really wanted beers and doobage too lol One did all the talking and the other just sat back in the van. I didn't feel that stupid, the speaker seems like it would take parts that are much more than $100 altogether or just the labor that went into making a fake speaker that looks so cool. Hope this info is helpful to someone.

Anonymous

they are in kansas city too guy actually ripped off my pastor he was concearned that they were stolen so he drilled the guy about them being legit being a pastor he has to make sure the guy said over and over it was just a overstock item i liked the speakers so my pastor being smart got his number (it was only way he would agree to buy from the guy) and called him to see if he had anymore he called me back i asked what brand they were he sent me to website looked good then i checked ebay and was like wow there like 60.00 bucks on here put it in the search engine looking for reviews and found this website called my pastor told him what i found and he called the guy back told him he knew he ripped him off and said i dont want a refund just come to church this sunday the guy didnt show and now wont answer his phone i think ill post his phone number so you guys can harrass him

Username: Chris_ri

WOW, I'm from Rhode Island, I was at the bank yesterday withdrawing money and some dude strolled up in a truck, maybe a GMC or soemthing and gave me the same story of "I got an install in 30 mins where I'm meeting my boss, I picked up the gear but the gave me extra, I would take it home but I live too far away and would never meet my boss in time. I can give to you for a great deal." Right off the back, without seeign the stuff I was like "Im all set" I would never buy crap from the street. He kept drilling me and I got curious so I looked in the truck at his request. I saw 2 bookshelf systems and 2 tower sets. The boxes had "over $3000 value" written on them. I was like "Dude, what manufacture does this, I never heard of this?" he was like "come on man, how much you want, I can set them up at your house" I was like: "I'm on lunch break, live 40 mins away and am not interested" He asked how much they were worth too me and I said I wouldnt give you $20 for them. Anyways, I decided to call my boy back at the office to jump online and research real quick. He quickly found it was a scam and when he heard me talking to my boy and got in his car and drive off. hahahahah lunatics.

Alain & Ann
Unregistered guest
These guys are everywhere. Was just at Canadian Tire in Gatineau, Qc, Canada. Young male in a white van. Same story. Even offered the 3 year guarantee. Almost payed 500$ but I changed my mind. Good thing I did, my girlfriend would have killed me.

Alain & Ann
Unregistered guest
These guys are everywhere. Was just at Canadian Tire in Gatineau, Qc, Canada. Young male in a white van. Same story. Even offered the 3 year guarantee. Almost payed 500$ but I changed my mind. Good thing I did, my girlfriend would have killed me.

Unregistered guest
hey, i got pair of tr2900, i think my amp is blow out of defect something.. you guys have any idea or replace the amp... please let me know send me an email at aichotadatinh@yahoo.com thanks all....
ps; those speak sound real good.. i go 5 pairs of town and one 5.2 system. they all sound good with the paice like all you guys @ (the white van)

anonymous1111
Unregistered guest
I know about this scam and have encountered these scum bags a couple years ago, but today I ran into them again TODAY in Roxbury Township, Morris County, New Jersey, USA. I was getting out of my car, and was walking into a local convenience store when one of two men fitting the usual description - white and 20-30 years of age called to me aggressively for directions to Route 80. They were in the classic all white van and I could plainly see the white speaker boxes in the back (since I was now in front of the van I could see through the windshield into the back of the van). The white boxes (supposedly containing speakers of some semblence) were about 42 inches by 20 inches by 24 inches. I ignored the guy and walked into the convenience store WHERE COPIED DOWN THEIR NEW JERSEY LISCENSE PLATE which is PUF 51L and before I could get my cell phone out to call the cops, the driver of the van who had asked me directions FOLLOWED ME INTO THE STORE(!) and was very aggressive with me which is surprising because I am a big boy and would have kicked his as$. But he was nearly wanting to fight me because I was taking down his liscense plate. I tell you this is no joke. I would not be surprised if these jokers had affiliation from the mob. So I just told the guy I didn't want anything to do with him and gave him directions to Route 80 and then called the cops immediately.

Anonymous

Just got scammed, red burged blazer. Was driving home from work and a guy yelled at me, gave me the same b.s. story. Anyway, I don't need the stuff and will let it go cheap. Thought I was doing him a favor and didn't realize it was a scam till I got home. Checkout ebay for TR-602 home theater system and TR-2840 floor speakers (2). Bid on them and there yours. Staight up deal. I just want to get them out of the house. Never used and never opend. Lesson learned in Metro Detroit.

mp2
Unregistered guest
Back in March 04 I was waved of the road by a white van with TR speakers. I was weary at first then smooth talked into buying a pair of TR-2810's for $200. I am very happy with these speakers best $200 I have spent on any home audio. I would say if you get approached by these guys ask to see inside the box to see if there geniune and if they are, they rock.

Unregistered guest
Bonjour Sébastien,

Je suis une québécoise qui habite au nord de Joliette a St-Gabriel-de-Brandon. Mon chum a achété hier, dans un stationnement de Joliette, un systeme TR-8010 Teater Research. Il l'a payé $ 400. dollards. Il a trouvé quelqu'un qui veut lui racheter $ 500.

Nous hésitons un peu car nous voulions justement nous équiper en cinéma maison et du meme coup avoir un meilleur son pour écouter la musique.

Cependant je trouve ca cher compte tenu que nous devons achetter en plus le lecteur DVD. Comme je ne parle pas vraiment l'anglais, je n'arrive pas a me faire une idée a partir des messages. Peux-tu m'aider et me conseiller ?

yacunt
Unregistered guest
this is the same as the merchandise you will find in china town. they are good crafsman and produce much of the worlds goods. if theses speakers are made for less than one hundered american dollars, then shipped from china to a warehouse to a man with a truck. yes i bought the 2830 or some worts, 200 bucks. the ones who are getting scamed are probably building the speekers. they look really nice like the fake rolex i baught in china town. they both work okay, not great. i also have 2000 dollar klipsch those are the real deal! for 200 im not dissapointed. tell your friends so they know what to do if they are approached! no one likes to be lied to! and to grego the herpedic pimple who sold them to me merry christmas and i hope you crash your facking tahoe, hang loose ya dick
albany,ny

BillyDaKid
Unregistered guest
wow good thing i saw this before buying a pair of speakers. Thanks for all the info. but i think if you guys like how it sounds than good, dont worry how much you spent. i have seen them here in orlando once red cadillac suv.

Unregistered guest
Well I'm one of the many, I was in ok. city ok when this famous white van found me parked at a truck stop, same story, I bought the TR-501 for 170 dollers, I have hooked it up it sounds pretty good, I guess what pisses me off is that I cant find any website from the manufacturer, if there is one please let me know

2allblameshifters
Unregistered guest
This is their website http://trtheaterresearch.com/

Not sure why anyone would feel like they've been scammed.What did you think?That you were really getting $1000 speakers for $200 ? Yes, selling speakers from the back of a van is very cheesy.
You should have taken this into account when taking that risk.One then must ask oneself "at what price am I willing to take that risk"?
If that price is $200, $300, or whatever, that was your CHOICE.You have not been scammed.You've just let your emotions sway your decision.
Additionally, I've read more than a few posts where "victims" state that they will try to sell these speakers on ebay or elsewhere, without even auditioning them.Give 'em a chance.Then if you decide that they don't sound like a pair of $200(or whatever you paid for them) speakers should sound, report your findings and make a useful and educated post.Like a previous poster said -who cares what the listed msrp is, or HOW you decided to buy them.
Make no mistake, I don't work for this company and have never heard any of their products. Which is what brought me to this site.Just trying to get some meaningful insight on their product line.
More specifically, the 1610/1611 models.
Are these models bi-wire capable?
And is the finish a laminate or real wood?
Ya, I know real wood is dreaming, but thought I would ask just in case.

Tricks-on-Them
Unregistered guest
My dad called me the other day from the road, He travels alot for his business and said these guys in MN. had stopped along the road where he was checking his loaded trailer and asked if he wanted to buy some Home Theater speakers they were the TR-7010 6 peice set. Anyway I was at home and on the computer already when he called and so I just looked quick for any info I could find and wouldn't you know it I found their site so thinking the deal was just a steal I told him if he could get them cheap to go ahead and I would take a set too. Anyway I hang up the phone and do some more checking then I find stuff like this is a big scam and also found them on Ebay for like $225.00 with free shipping so I say to myself this is a crapy deal even at $250.00 a set that we paid, so I call the old man up and tell him we just got took and he is pissed off. Well as it turns out the guy took a check and so the old man says well the scam is on him now, because it only took the old man about 5 minutes to call his bank and cancel payment on the check. So now if the jerks that sold us these speakers want them back he is welcome to call me as Dad dropped them off at my house and if the guy wants them he will need to drive a ways to get them and then I will only meet him at the cop shop so I wish him luck, ho and did I say I am even in a different state so if he wants to file a claim against the old man for stopping payment on the check then he will still need to travel to our court house to do so and then explain his lack of busines licsense and failure to collect taxes etc. Ha Ha LOL at the Jerks now. PS after awhile I may try them out if I don't sell them.

watrudoing
Unregistered guest
What is wrong with you people that insist upon buying merchandise from the back of a van.Sight unseen.Without inspection or even listening to them.It's not the fault of the seller.It's your fault for buying them in the first place.I bet they would stop driving around, lurking in parking lots if people would just NOT buy them.
Unless they're holding a gun to your head, it's your fault and have no one to blame but yourself.

Anonymous

to the guy talking about tax fraud, Taxing the people is the biggest fraud and is illegal under the constitution The original document not the illegally amended one, just like mandatory social security withdrawl especially if you declare yourself a U.S. National, call me crazy all you want but I do not pay witheld tax and the I.R.S. approved once I proved that they and taxing my wages was against my constitutional rights and Illegal. Check out infowars.com & Alex Jones

Anonymous

these are nothing but little punks i thought that this was a good system they were driving a maroon ford explorer with california plates on it they got me for $350 oh let me tell you i am going to get him he is always coming to my town. He pulled that same sh*t they put an extra one in the shipment i need to get rid of it before my boss finds out. this a nation wide scam so to all those people who don't know what is going on be aware you will probably be the next one to be tooken for the money. i think that it is happening to so many people that we should take it to the police and maybe they can help ubut who knows

Swampland4sale
Unregistered guest
Any one that falls for this "scam" deserves it.Were you born yesterday?Would you buy a car of unknown make? Without driving it first? Just because some sales person told you it was overstock and has to go?Your own greed has gotten the better of you.As long as there are suckers out there, these kind of people will exist. This deceitful mentallity has existed since the beginning of time.If you want to blame anyone, blame yourself or your parents for not equipping you with the necessary tools to survive in the real world.
If I were stupid enough to fall for something like this, I sure wouldn't make my ignorance publically known.Which is why I beleive that some of these posts are fake.Or maybe it's human nature not to beleive that they(the buyers) are at fault, but instead want to point the finger at someone else.

Anonymous

Here is a guy who is running the scam in Houston. He sells the TR speakers form his Dodge RAM. The name is Joe. His cell phone is 832-283-5343.
Let's all call him and wish a nice life??

Anonymous

Here is a guy who is running the scam in Houston. He sells the TR speakers form his Dodge RAM. The name is Joe. His cell phone is 832-283-5343.
Let's all call him and wish a nice life??

sgwa
Unregistered guest
I bought some in a parking lot in Kelso,Washington for $125. I already had bose. I used them for 3 years before I sold them at my moveing sale for $120. They performed very well. I still have my bose, and bought some more tr7000's, off of e-bay for a suround sound system.sounds really good, using my bose as my front speakers on a 7.1 system.

Anonymous

Well, the Theater Research scammers are in Bakersfield, CA as well. I was outside an Office Depot when two guys in a white GMC Safari pulled up and asked if I wanted to buy some killer speakers at a killer price. A year or so ago I was blessed with the opportunity to purchase four Digital Pro Audio tower speakers at an "incredible" price, from a friend, who purchased them from a "high end" AV store in City of Industry, CA. After researching them, I found out that they were a scam company. Well, for what I paid for them, they've turned out to be pretty decent speakers.
Anyway, I asked to see the TR speakers, and the packaging of the Theater Research speakers looked a whole lot like the DPA packaging. I asked if they had ever heard of DPA, and they said no. Well, I told them I was on to their scam, and proceeded to write down their license plate number. They left. I must have scared them away. GOOD!
And now TR has hit Ebay. Wonderful!
I understand from an earlier thread that someone bought speakers from Dogg Digital, which might be the old name for TR. I also understand, from the DPA message board, that Dogg Digital was once under the name Digial Pro Audio. Same scam, different name.
If for no other reason, people should pay attention to this board so they know what they might be getting in to. If you want to risk it, risk it. You could get lucky, but you will probably get ripped off. It seems to be pretty much hit or miss. Some people like the speakers, others hate them.
One last thing: To the guys in the white GMC Safari, I have this to say: Everyone I know is aware of your presence. We're gonna getcha. Leave now, and don't ever come back.

Unregistered guest
They got me in Schaumburg, IL today. Same story. I bought the TR-503 for $600 and the TR-2810 for $200 + box of chocolates.

Saw this link http://www.scamshield.com/ and am considering driving to their local office for refund within 3 days.

I feel stupid, and am wondering how these sound. So many mixed reviews depending on model...

jcgoblue
Unregistered guest
I tried emailing TR as well and got this:

sales@trtheaterresearch.com>
Permanent Failure:
522_mailbox_full;_group_quota_sz=12582739/12582912_ct=258/100000
Delivery last attempted at Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:12:12 -0000

Anonymous

over the years i have/my friends have bought several sets of speakers from "the guys in the white van" never has anyone i know had an issue or problem. if you paid more than $200.00 you paid to much(100.00 for last).ive had them hooked to my sony for over a year no problem!my friend has them hooked to a carver,no problem!are they $2000.00 speakers? no.unless you have a $5000.00 system your not going to here the difference.the people that are complianing either paid to much or went home to see how they got over on the guy only to read negetive posts on the matter. $1.00 a watt for the quality of sound is a good deal.when i see the guys the next time i will again buy from them i need some shelf units.oh by the way when you were recieving this deal and you thought that you were getting this "deal" you thought you were buying stolen property ("they gave me extra that i did not pay for at the factory")so that makes you as dishonest as you claim them to be!.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
Clues:
-buying a product from the back of a van
-unfamiliar product name
-never listened to the speaker
-incredible discount from the "msrp"
-no means to return the product

I'm sure there were other clues which should have alerted you to the fact that something wasn't right.But your own greed and dishonesty clouded your decision to take the risk.And only AFTER making the purchase, do you feel like it's time to properly research this product.Then you read posts such as these and decide that you've been scammed too.Often times without even listening to the speakers.Why not compare these speakers to other speakers of the same price that you'd buy in a traditional retail outlet.Then decide if you've been scammed or not.It's been my experience that $200.00 doesn't get you very much at BB, CC or any other brick and mortar store.
If you still feel like you've been scammed, then fine.But remember, it was YOU that decided to take the risk and buy an unfamiliar product with no means of return from two unknown guys from the back of a van in some parking lot.
This thread should be renamed:
"I made an uninformed purchase of an unknown product and want to blame someone else for my ignorance"

jcgoblue
Unregistered guest
I feel like the last 2 posts following my previous, defending the shady sales practices, smack of an agenda. Thanks for the lecture on how these scammers exploited my greed.

I will try the speakers, and I may even feel that are good value, as I am not an audiofile, but the tactics are disgraceful. Why doesn't the email for TR work?

I was told by these 2 working guys that their boss okay'd the sale as a xmas bonus, and they wrote me an invoice.

If this scam has been around for 20 years, and it keeps working, that sucks, but to put the blame on the buyer is ridiculous. I am no victim, and may still pursue a return or other legal action just out of principle. But I did not think I was buying stolen goods, as they offered I could call the phone number for American Sound Systems 847-534-0420 to talk to their boss Walt.

Every now and again we all need a reminder that there are very dishonest, unethical people out there, and to not be so trusting. No one likes being a chump. I am not excusing being caught up in the excitement of the pitch etc, but this is taking buyer beware to the radical edge.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
JCGOBLUE,
As you state, why don't you actually listen to these speakers?Then decide if the risk was worth it.Surely you must have realized during the process, that this transaction may end up badly.
On the other hand, for 2 or 3 hundred bucks it may turn out favorably.
I am simply amazed that people post here and whine about the these scammers and their sleazy sales tactics.When YOU,in fact, are the ones enabling and facilitating them to practice this way.If you aren't happy with their sales technique, then why did you purchase their product?

jcgoblue
Unregistered guest
DEALofTHEcentury, I tried the speakers today, and the fact they work was a relief. Was it good value for $800 (when they were represented as having $7,000 of retail value)? They came with minimal instruction and cheap wires. Not being an audiofile I will never know.

I question your motives however. Who do you work for? Were you on the other side of a time-pressured transaction that lasted all of 10 minutes? The scam was well thought out and persuasive. Thus the postings of many other smart people with discretionary income.

Don't try to justify lies and deception in an attempt to shift blame back to the buyer. Everything about the process was full of lies, from the story about the source of the extra equipment, to the phony magazine that was supposedly purchased that day off a newstand with phony, inflated prices, to the website without functional email.

To discover this is an organized racket, with fly by night operators, on an international scale is scary ala 60 minutes.

DEALofTHEcentury
Unregistered guest
jcgoblue,
To Quote "Everything about the process was full of lies, from the story about the source of the extra equipment, to the phony magazine that was supposedly purchased that day off a newstand with phony, inflated prices, to the website without functional email."
All of those things are true.You're only fault was finding those things out AFTER the fact.And I certainly am not trying to justify or condone their tactics.Very shady indeed.
Quote "Was it good value for $800"
Why are you asking this question now?Instead of before the purchase?
Would you buy a 2005 Toyota Hoduyrt from a guy on the corner?Because they shipped one too many?At 88% off of retail($70,000)? Only if you buy it on the spot?Probably not.Because you've never heard of a Toyota Hoduyrt!!!!And have absolutely no idea what a Toyota Hoduyrt is worth.Just like you never heard of Theater Research!!And have no idea what their products are worth.
Both parties are to blame here.
And as long as there are deceitfull people and and overly-trusting people for them to prey upon,
this scenario will play itself out time and time again.
The best defense against people of this ilk is to use common sense.Which at times,it appears, isn't too common.

PurchasedinMA
Unregistered guest
Got these speakers a few months ago. I felt ripped off when I saw this forum, but listened to them, and they really sound good for 200 bucks. I think I would at least be able to sell them and get my money back if it weren't for this forum on line. As soon as a buyer looks up the model number on google, this site comes up, so it's automatically associating the speakers with rip off at any price.

The speakers are worth 200 bucks. It's not a complete rip off, but if you're paying more than that, it's not worth it. It's unfortunate that these guys are so worthless that they have to kill the brand name by selling them this way. I know my speakers sound fine, but I obviously can't speak for others who are buying them. If you bought them and saw this forum, don't feel discouraged. I'd try them out for yourself before you make a judgement...

PurchasedinMA
Unregistered guest
By the way, I got the Theater Innovations TR-6000T's. Not sure if they sound like the others, but they're worth what I paid.

Unregistered guest
Wow. I had no idea this had been going on, and a friend of my brother's bought the TR-602 5.1 system(I believe) but the exact price and the way he got the system is a bit vague at the moment besides the location of Salem, Oregon. I think it cost around 150$, and they traded hands to another friend of my brother's- he uses my old JVC RX558VBK to drive them. They seemed to perform well although I use what I consider to be better speakers - KLH 9250B's matched with HT9900 satellites and center channel- completely legit and solid, by audioreview.com+epinions.com standards and purchased at a Best Buy. As soon as I can, I'm going take a look inside them and check out their drivers/wiring/amps, etc. to check for scam ratings. I sure hope there wasn't a scam in this scenario, and I know what will happen if get an attempt at a deal by one of these "White Van Guys" because I like screwing with people like that until they are so scared they never think about doing it again. I'll post again when I'm finished, and drop me a line at my address if anyone wants to know what the frick I'm talking about.

Late.
P.S.- Bose is as bad a scam as any, same as Quixtar/Amway, and so many others.

Anonymous

I knew it wasn't on the up and up, but for a couple hundred bucks was it going to put me in the poor house? Some say they sound good, others say they sound like crap. Guess I'll have to decide for myself. Sometimes a lessoned learned is alot more costly!

Slim Dog
Unregistered guest
I'll be real honest here, i sell these speakers and i dont have to lie cheat or steal to do it. the sound speaks for themselves, and my pitch is that i have two extra sets that i need to get rid of cheap, i have a laptop that i can show their website on as well as the Robb Report Magazine i show them the product and let them make me an offer, if they dont like the speakers i just move on, no pressure no pushing, i give out my cell, and have had dozens of repeat customers with no complaints. The rip off is circuit city and best buy they mark up the product by 400%. mine sell for about $250.00 on average. you dont have to lie to sell them, the product ALWAYS sells itself

Anonymous

i was sold a set of theater research tr-602 today by two guys in sacramento california and they drove a green for explorer and they gave me the same speech. "extra speakers, want to make some cash, before they have to pick up the boss, retail for $3000" i paid $150 and i felt really stupid but i already got rid of them. doug wright and james "jimmy" whatever. i feel stupid. im sorry if this happened to you. i honetly never even opened the box i resold them immediatly.

spkrs!
Unregistered guest
what up slim....i feel ya dog. dees speakers are worth it for real yo. for the price paid, most of the people on here would love these speakers, if they never found this site. u read this thread and don't even give the speakers a chance, u just assume they suck and it's a scam!
let your own ears decide if they suck! i sell these speakers too, and most of my customers are always asking for more. 4-3

Unregistered guest
You're not going to believe this but I got a pair of TR-2800s from two guys in a white caravan, in Dallas, TX. I plugged them into a $129 KLM amp from bestbuy, and they sound great. The packaging did say they retail for 4 grand a set, and the guys said that they were overage on a truck, but I checked the serial numbers and they were there, I got them for $100, registered them with the company and about 5 days after I hooked the up, one of the mids went out, I reported it and in about 3 days a guy from Sam Ash came out to the house to fix them, I could not be happier.

Jim Jarmon
919-567-5323

Anonymous

I got scammed about a year ago. Can't believe this hasn't been stopped. Yes, the speakers work. However, the audio quality is horrible. My KHL's, which I paid 75 a piece for, blow the TR's away. My Bose bookshelves blow them away. The cabinets are cheap particle board spray painted glossy black. The actual speaker components are cheap garbage. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money. I would pay probably 75, tops for these speakers. I'm just glad I learned my lesson on this whole deal....got my money back and got to keep the speakers....change your receipt date and ask for a return. Then follow up with a letter from your lawyer....peace.

Funny Indeed
Unregistered guest
I remember getting asked to buy these at least 10 if not 15 yrs ago. Since then, I have been asked probably 20x or more. I have not personally bought any, but I know many who have. Once again today, some guy tried to sell me some out of the back of his van outside the bank. I was curious about where these guys came from, and found myself here.

I find it comical that people actually think these sound good. I have heard several pairs, and no matter how you cut it they simply sound cheap. $100 ? Perhaps not even that. Anyone here that starts out by saying "these sound great ! I hooked them up to my JVC/Kenwood/Panasonic or even Sony Amp..." have got to be kidding me. Hook these up to a REAL amp with a REAL preamp and then tell me how good they sound. Either

1) You have very poor hearing
2) Have been listing to bad sound systems all your life
3) Feel bad about getting ripped off, and simply want to feel better

OR

4) Work for the scam operation in some way shape or form and simply want to make the scam appear as legit as possible.

I know I can find tonnes of speaker sets made by repuatble manufacturers at BestBuy (not that I would ever personally buy speakers at BestBuy) for the same price or cheaper. My Creative desktop speakers sound better than these things for God's sake.

Just because they have a website, and just because other people sell them online doesn't make them legit. Its a scam no matter how you cut it. The lie about why they are selling them, they lie about the specs, and they are selling them out of the back of a damn van in a parking lot ! If that doesn't qualify as a scam, I dont know what does.

I found this site very insightful with a tonne of good resources for anyone looking for payback.

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/InPerson/speaker_scams.htm

But as always... Caveat Emptor.

Apples
Unregistered guest
Bought TR-8200 wireless system and TR-1120 towers in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. Want to know if they sound and work alright. Paid way too much after reading all the postings on this site. Feel pretty stupid now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us