THX sound processing

braidkid
Unregistered guest
Hello,
I recently purchased the Denon DVD-2910 player to go along with my Yamaha HTR-5790 reciever. Upon experimenting with various setups I found that things sound much better using multi channel analog hook ups to my reciever and letting the DVD player do the sound processing. The sound difference is night and day. I would highly encourage anyone else using a Denon DVD player to try the same instead of optical cable.

Now, my question is I can't use THX sound processing from my reciever anymore since my reciever is only used for amplification now using multi channel input. Therefore, I may be missing out on the various pros the THX sound processing features such as re-equalization, timbre matching, etc. I noticed the difference between using my reciever in THX mode and multi channel input is everything sounds "crisper" or "brighter" than in THX mode. I imagine this is due to the re-equalization in THX mode. I seem to prefer the "brighter" non-THX sound. The details seem to come out more. THX mode sounds more muted and less detailed. So, for those of us not using THX sound processing, are we really missing out on the timbre matching and other qualities it provides? I would imagine that the DTS processing from my DVD player would provide some of these benefits.

Anyone have any input to offer?

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 41
As far as I know, the timbre matching feature only would really matter if your speakers didn't cover the same frequency ranges. Some receivers have warmer sounds than others also. I have a Pioneer 1014, and it has the THX mode on it, which I use for all movies, DTS and Dolby, because it sounds better to me. THX modes are nice, but it's all up to the users ears to decide which is best for them.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 990
Upload

I've always wanted to buy a THX AVR, for my home cinema, after hearing and feeling it via the professional THX 3417 X-over monitor at the once called "CIC" (Cinema International Corporation) at London's Empire Leicester Square screen #1.

This cinema packed a punch, distortion in the HF horns was not noticeable, bass extension in the bass cabs was lower than I've ever head or felt before, and the baby boom or subwoofer channel was incredibly deep, I mean deep, deep, deep lows of unrelenting pressure, that just pressed on me, its was then I was hooked on the THX sound system program that Lucasfilm and Tomlinson Holman have set out to bring to cinemas what was lost for many years within the industry.

I've been to three THX sound system theatres in the UK The Warner west end as it was once called, now it's called "VUE" and the UCI at High Wycombe, just outside of London,

As well as, attending a few 70mm Dolby Stereo presentations at the Empire, including "Alive" in Dolby SR-D "Timecop" dts, the first being "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" in 70mm Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds, this was when the Empire had just reopened after a few million pounds worth of refurbishment, and got THX citified.

Also seen all Star Trek films there on a nice fine day Sunday the 8th October 1989 with five films showing one of which was only in 35mm Dolby Stereo type A "Star Trek the motion picture" all the rest where in the slender of 70mm blow-up prints with Dolby six-track stereo type A and SR.

The Empire was the place to see hear and feel a motion picture, in the comfort of a plumb posh red "Rocker chair" the eventful cinema as come via the Lucasfilm THX sound system.....

And this my Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX SELECT, with a few special modifications, that I have made myself to make the home cinema experience fun...

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3485
Nice Kenwood.
Mine is the KRF-X9070D, mated to an Outlaw Audio 7100 power amp.
This unit replaced the horrible KRF-X9060D, sounds horrible in stereo and gets really hot. I was so disappointed with Kenwood about that but the 9070 is really something else.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1024
Upload

Berny

Try using cooling fans, by placing them on top of the AVR, or it's a peace of piss, to modify the AVR and install the fan or fans inside the AVR, there job done....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3496
I don't believe that cooling fans will compensate for the 9060's shortcomings. That is why I had it replaced with the 9070.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1035
Berny

You have got to be Kidding, hot did it get?

I mean my Kenwood KRF-X9050D pictured above, sure it gets warm like most electrical components, but there was this "Fidelity Audio" not sure about the name though anyway these where Mono Block amplifiers, and I Kidd you not they where (blood burn hot) dear god you could cook an egg slowly on them, this was in a second-hand shop and they wanted £800.00 for the two mono blocks, get out of town, no way, would I pay that.

Anyway try some cooling fans the ones that are installed in (pc towers) really it does work and they don't cost much along with a DC transformer set at a low voltage, so they don't draw attention to them self's and stay whisper quite.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3501
The KRF-X9070D does not get hot at all. The 9060 got really hot even coupled to the Outlaw 7100. It actually gave out after 2 months and went into protect mode from which it never recovered. No cooling fan was going to save that:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us