Onkyo HTS-650 getting warm.

jd442
I just finished installing my HTS-650 home theater system yesterday. The receiver sits in the wall unit shelf with 2 or 3 inches open above the receiver and the back half of the unit is opened. Is it normal for the receiver to get warm during operation? I know I have previously read a post regarding this. I just want to make sure the receiver is not defective. Like I said the unit is warm to the touch but not hot.

hey, relax
Of course it's going to get warm. It's an electronic component that generates power, so what do you think. People should relax about this thing about the receiver getting hot. My HTS650 receiver gets warm but I expect that. I think it was isolated incidents with people having receivers getting "very hot", and someone already had an explanation and solution for that in another string.

Nick
Paranoia is a horrible disease, unfortunately I'v got it. I agree with you, but there is a differnce between warm and hot. I would like to know how warm other peoples get, because when I play for extended periods (2hrs) mine gets really hot, like begining to warp the cover hot, but it does not shut off or distort. Does this sound normal? I fully expect it to get warm, maybe even a little hot when played at the 80 level for 2hrs, but this thing will cook eggs. What do you all think?

Anonymous
Nick: NEVER.....................................................EVER cook eggs on your receiver. This will void your warranty.

Scott
I don't have my HTS-650 yet (this week I hope!!) but I would say if it sizzles when touched with wet finger on outside it's too hot and it is just a matter of time before it becomes unusable. It is normal for amplifiers to become quite warm. Of course that being said, I'll end up with one of those that gets too hot :>)

Anonymous
My bonehead theory about the heat issue.
I had the same problem when I first bought my HTS650 and connected it with the included speaker wire. What I did:
Replaced the factory speaker wires with 16 gauge Monster cable for fronts/center/surrounds and a Monster sub cable.
I think that the amplifier cannot disperse the full amount of wattage to the speakers with the included cheesy wires thus creating heat buildup within the unit. After I replaced the crap speaker wire with good stuff, It never got hot again.
Pretty cool eh?

Nick M
Thanks guys, appriciate the input. I don't think it's the wire, I bought 40ft of Tributaries 12g for this bad boy. (good deal @ accessories4less.com $9 per 20ft spool; while they last) Anyway, I've decided to quite worrying and just enjoy the crap out of this thing because it does REALLY rock. I definately will replace the front mains with the Klipsch SB-3's as soon as tax money comes back. Can't wait!!!!!
Till then, Rock on 650 brothren.

Anonymous
HOW TO SOLVE THE HEAT PROBLEM ON THE HT-S650

GO TO YOUR LOCAL WALMART AND BUY THE MONSTER CABLE KIT 200 FOR HOME THEATERS AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE THE PROBLEM AGAIN.

sooteal
WOW!!
Changing the speaker wire definitely made a difference. I've had the Onkyo 650 system since mid September & I must say the receiver did get fairly warm, NOT hot.
I decided to try replacing the wires the other day to see if it would improve the sound as folks say.
My local Walmart doesn't carry Monster cable. Went to Target & bought 100 feet of GE brand 16 gauge speaker wire for $19. Best Buy had an Acoustic Research brand subwoofer cable for $15 which was half the price of Monster (the store salesman even told me to go with the A/R brand!!) Result: the receiver is much cooler now. Although I can't really tell much difference in the sound since it always sounded crisp & clear.
I suggest to anyone having the heat problem to try replacing with a little better quality wires.

Anonymous
Hey Dudes, It's a cable problem. Get the Monster Home Theater cable kit 200 and you will NEVER overheat again.

Anonymous
Replace all of the wires and cables with the Gold Series from Radio Shack to solve the heat problem.
14 gauge wire is a good choice. 18 and 22 gauge is not enough and will cause the unit to overheat and die.

Anonymous
I just bought Onkyo HTS 650 a few days ago, I read a lot about the defective receiver. I'm just wondering how to know that the receiver is really defective, because when I tried it with the ICE AGE DVD, and turning off all the speaker, leaving the woofer on alone, it rumbled. If it is defective, does the woofer not producing any rumbles at all or it rumbles a little or .... ?
Anybody has an idea ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us