Are back and presence speakers really necessary?

Kid-A
Unregistered guest
Hi. How important are back and presence speakers to a HT setup? Thanks:-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2865
It is all a matter of your preference. Some are stereo purists and don't even like the idea a center channel.

Have you experienced for yourself a properly set-up home theater system?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 302
Necessary, no. But they can really enhance the viewing/listening experience if that is important to you. Berny is right.

Kid-A
Unregistered guest
Do the purists consider stereo only listening, paramount in music listening AND movie viewing?
Also, I'm assuming that you don't need to invest as much $ in the presence and back speakers as you would in your mains and surrounds. Are any speakers made specifically for the presence and back channels. Any recomendations? Thanks:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2871
A lot of the stereo purists that I know, consider stereo only in music. I find that they are not too critical when it comes to movies.

There are several speaker manufacturers that make speakers specifically for surround/ambience effects and you can invest significant amounts on them depending of course, on your budget. You have your, dipoles, bipoles and such that are claimed to enhance the surround experience, but it is still up to you to make that decision. Bookshelf speakers are used by many as their surround and some (like myself) use towers.

What speakers have you listened to, so far? What receiver/amp are you going to use? Do you already have a receiver? How big is your room? And, of course what is your budget?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 314
The "purists" only listen to stereo, period. There is, however a crossover concept. A good speaker,i.e, one that has excellent range and is accurate should be suited for audio and video applications. However, some folks are not necessarily interested in accuracy, but prefer speakers geared toward certain extremes. Cerwin Vega, for example, use to create speakers that produced tremendous bass, but many of them were lacking in midrange and high frequency clarity. I'm sorry but I generally don't make specific recommendations only suggest you go listen.

Kid-A
Unregistered guest
I only have my 30 yr old Pioneer speakers for my fronts which still sound great(I guess. I havn't had much to compare them to. None of my friends are audiophiles. Most of them don't even know what one is.), except for a distinct fuzziness on one with certain frequenzies. Anyway, every 30 yrs is a good time to upgrade. I also have cheap optimus(ha, cheap and optimus is kind of redundant don't ya think?) for my satellites. All hooked up to my Yamaha rx-v650 receiver. I'm thinking about buying the BIC America Venturi DV62si speakers w/modified crossfaders by Ed from EFE technologys, for my fronts and satellites. I also have a Onix Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer in the mail. My budget? Already exceeded by about twice of what it was! But under $500 for back satellite and presence speakers would be preferable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2883
Have you looked at the other products by Onix? Check out the Tykes line up.

Kid-A
Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny, will do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us