Subwoofer question - Help Please

Unregistered guest
Last year I bought a Pioneet home theatre system. URL for it is:
32171715_32252799_35138937%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna/produc t/detail/0,,32171715_32252799_35138937,00.html
I am not really happy with the subwoofer performance, probably cuz it's not a powered sub. The sub is connected thru speakers level inputs, and I beleive my receiver does NOT have RCA out for the sub.
NOW, IF I do buy a powered subwoofer, I was worried how would I connect it to the receiver.
Have gone thru the forums, and gained that if my sub has speaker level inputs, then I can directly connect speaker level outputs of my receiver to the speaker level inputs of my sub.
These are my questions :
1. Is this the best way to connect a sub? Specially when compared to an RCA sub connection?
2. Should I connect the left, right front and surround speakers thru the receiver or thru the sub?
3. Is there anyway to make my passive sub sound better? Would it be better to buy an external amplifier rather than buying a new powered sub?
4. Is there a better alternative to maximize my movie&music experience?

Would really appreciate your guidance,
Thanks

Unregistered guest
The link above got messed up somehow.
Here's the link again:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna/product/detail/0,,32171715_32252799_3513893 7,00.html

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2854
The links are not working.
However, it would be better if you can get a powered subwoofer, it doesn't need to be on the speaker level outputs of your receiver. Your receiver should have a subwoofer output (check your manual to be sure) and you connect the powered sub to this output.

Tanmay
Unregistered guest
Thanks for replying berny.
I beleive my receiver does NOT have a subwoofer output. In that case, can I connect a powered subwoofer?
If u wish to look up the HT system, please
1. go to www.pioneerelectronics.ca
2. CLick on "For home" on red menu on top
3. Click on Home theatre systems on left menu
4. Click on Pioneer models on left
5. Click on Older models on right top
6. Click on HTD-530 (14th from top in list)

Thanks again

Gold Member

Post Number: 2857
The link works but it won't give me details whether or not it is capable of supporting a powered subwoofer. What happened to the speakers that it came with? I see a subwoofer with the package, I just don't know if it is powered or not.
In any case, you should be able to use a powered subwoofer by using the speaker outputs of the receiver. Just make sure that the subwoofer you purchase has inputs for speaker levels.
Does your manual say anything about using a subwoofer?

Username: Soonerfan

Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1
I have the Denon AVR-3805 receiver and B & W front speakers and center chanel. I am now looking for a sub-woofer-any suggestions on what I need to go with my system.

Tanmay
Unregistered guest
Thanks again Berny.
I DONT think my receiver is capable of supporting powered subwoofer, since there is NO rca out at the back.
Now, like u suggested, if I buy a powered subwoofer with speaker level inputs, then should I connect my front speakers through the receiver or through the subwoofer?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2861
Yes, and when you do the speaker set-up, set the speakers to "large", and you should be good to go.

Randy,
Check out the subs from HSU and SVS, you can't go wrong with either one.

Tanmay
Unregistered guest
Berny,
I am guessing by "yes" u meant that I should connect the front speakers through the subwoofer?
(just verifying since my question to u earlier was whether I should connect front speakers thru receiver or subwoofer? and I dunno which one are u saying yes for :-))
Also, what bout the centre and surround speakers?
I should connect them from the receiver?
Thanks a lot

Gold Member

Post Number: 2868
Yes you can connect the front speakers through the subwoofer. Depending on the subwoofer that you purchase, they will have instructions on how to connect speaker level inputs.
Sorry for the confusion:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us