Main Speaker Upgrade for Onkyo HTS 650

I've had my HTS 650 for over a month now, and I'm very happy with the system and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who is still shopping around. I was thinking about upgrading the main speakers so I can enjoy stereo music more. I do enjoy 5 ch stereo, but sometimes I like to listen to music the old-fashioned way.

I was wondering if there are any discriminating music listeners out there who have found a good set of main speakers to upgrade to. While I want to upgrade the sound of music, I don't want to sacrifice my movie enjoyment. So, I'm looking for something that matches well with the rest of the speakers.

If anyone has found a speaker set that fits this criteria, I'd be grateful to know.

Nick
I was going to post a similar to your but I think they fall in the same idea. I also want to upgrade my mains and after listening to a couple Paradigm's and Klipsch's I have decided on the Klipsch. I am trying to stay in the 300 - 350 price range, and the Klipsch SB2 and SB3 blow the Paradigm Titan and Focus out the door (for my listening needs).

I want to go with the SB3's but don't know if the Onkyo will power them as well as it would the SB2's. (I think, kinda a newbee) The SB2's are max rated at 85w RMS where the SB3's are rated at 100w RMS. Does anybody have any ideas about this or does it really not matter. One concern of mine is that with the SB3's I could end up maxing out the amp and cause clipping, which I don't want to do obviously. Well this is way to long so I'm outa here.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

hoju
aren't the mains for the s650 100watts max power? why not get the SB3's?

Nick
Yes they are, but the SB3's seem to be a lot larger, although they are way more efficent at a rated 94dB/W. This wouldn't cause any problems would it?

Hoju
lets keep this thread up for a bit. im also curious to know if anyone had upgraded their mains on the HT-S650.

hoju
after some research.. i have found out that the higher efficiency the speaker is the better! klipsch speakers are efficient cause of their horn technology. So you can actually get away with a cheap receiver cause these speakers will play loud with minimal power consumption. I have looked into the Klipsch SF2 floorstanding speakers. I listened to them at the wiz today and i will be saving up my money for them. As for your SB3's. i say buy them! im sure the onkyo receiver wont have problems with it.

My friend uses two Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers for front speakers on the HT-S650 and loves the sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us