Need help planning projector setup...

Username: Adiadasman

Post Number: 3
I am in need of some advice. I have decided to go with an Infocus Screenplay 4805 projector and
Sony HTDDW670 HTIB. My question to people who have projector setups is this: how do you go about running wires all the way from your DVD player, set top box, ect. to the projector. I know many cables loose their effectivness as the length is increased. I have seen many pictures of setups and the AV components are always by the projector screen, thich would make the cables 30' long or longer. This will be going into an apartment, so making holes in the wall/ceiling is not an option. Any help would be appreciated. Also, please comment on my choices of equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 435
Aaron,

When running a projector, it's almost a given that you're going to have a long run. If you buy a quality set of component cables and run it from your projector to you receiver, you should be fine.

If you're using a projector, the ideal setup is to run the video-out from your projector directly into your receiver and use it as a video-switch. That way you can also run your Sat/cable box, DVD source, and any other source into your receiver and view all sources on your new movie screen.

Im not sure about the specifics of the 4805, but whatever you get, try to find something that is capable of 720p and will perform as well as possible with HD sources.

jPat
Unregistered guest
I just set up a new projector in my apartment last week and I was running into the same problem, but then discovered a simple solution: Don't have all of the AV equipment (DVD player, receiver, etc.) near the screen... keep it back near the projector.

My projector is located about 6 feet above my couch, and all of the equipment is on a shelf that sits right next to the couch. The video cables going to the projector (component, and S-Vid) are only about 10 feet long.

There is no need to have anything near the screen except the front speakers. The screen is just a piece of cloth, so you just have to just lose the mentality that the equipment needs to be near the picture.

Another advantage to this is that you're not distracted by the lit-up displays (clocks, etc) on all of the equipment. It's more like a theater experience.

The only difficult part is getting used to pointing your remote to your side instead of at the screen!

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
jPat,

If you're building from scratch, what you're saying makes some sense, but only if you're a HT newbie and havnt already configured your room. For most people, the surround system and all of it's various connections came first, and the new TV/Screen is merely the 'latest' component upgrade. Unless you've just moved, or are completely new to HT, you'll already have speaker wire run, have your Sat Signal routed, etc....etc....etc.....

Most people will locate their components near where they wired their Sat. signal into the room. Nobody is going to have long runs of that god awful and stiff coaxial wire across their HT room. I personally would never put the components in the back for the sole reason that I use my receiver remote a lot, and having it behind me where I couldnt read the display, or easily access the menus would drive me nuts. It would 'have' to be off to the side or front(for me). I realize that some people even keep their components stored away in a separate room, but I could never do that.

Post Number: 4
I am in a good position because I have not bought any of the equipment, cables, ect. I have the money to though ;) Anyway, I considered putting the equipment next the the couch, my only concern is noise. I will be using my modded Xbox as my DVD player because I already have it and it can upconvert to 720 or even 1080i. The Xbox is not know to be quite, in fact it is far from it. Not to mention the reciever, set top, ect. jPat, do you notice the noise with it being right next to you? That was the only reason I had not really considered that as an option.

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
Good move.......

I bought a 65" HDTV recently, and love it. In hindsight though, I wish I would have researched projectors. I have a good room for a 10' screen, but never really considered it while I was shopping.

Oh well.......I'll get one eventually.

As for the EXBox.....hmmmm........Not sure I would trust a gamecube type thing for getting the best audio/video quality for movies.

Im no expert though, but would think a good DVD player would be better, and save the Xbox for gaming(what it's designed for).

Post Number: 5
That is true of unmodded Xbox's as they can only output 480p in stock form on DVDs. BUT, modified they can produce all HD formats and even upconvert. They also have optical and coaxial digital audio. I agree with your statement as far as stock xbox's go though. Once you mod an xbox, it's basically a computer, and like I said, mine is modded.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us