Help - No Surround Sound and No Video

Username: Em69

Post Number: 5
Help Needed...I'm about to give up.

Just when I thought I had it all set up properly, it still won't work.

Components:
DVD player
Receiver
TV

Simple set up you would think, but I am not technically inclined.

I have a the S-Video cable running from the DVD player to the TV.

I have a Digital Coax running from the DVD player to the receiver.

I also have the RCA cables running from the DVD player to the receiver.

Problem:
I am not getting surround sound, nor am I able to get video on the TV when playing a DVD.

When I disconnected the Digital Coax, the sound is not even affected, so clearly the Coax wasn't doing anything for me.

The typical default setting for most TVs is to have it set on channel 3 or 4 to watch videos or DVDs, but for some reasons, this does not appear to work with this set up.

Any comments would be appreciated as I'm ready to give up.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2832
If you have an S-Video cable running from the DVD player to the TV, you don't need to set the TV to channel 3 or 4. Go to the video button on your TV and switch through the different video inputs. Look at the input panels of your TV and determine if you are hooked in to Video 1 or Video 2, etc. Then set your TV on that input.

You only need to use the channels if you are using an RF modulator.

For surround sound, use the Digital outputs of your DVD player, it could either be optical or coaxial(usually clor coded in orange). Connect this to your receiver that can accept these type of inputs.

Set up your DVD to output digital or DTS. Go to the DVD player main menu and select audio. From here you will be able to get different selcetions.

Check your manual for all your equipment. It will help you out more than you think.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for your reply Bernie.

I tried that over and over and it didn't work. And since I cannot get any video to show up on the TV, I'm not able to set up my DVD through the menu because the menu does not show up on the TV.

As far as the manuals go...I believe I have it set up exactly as shown and I've triple checked it.

I'm essentially throwing in the towel...I'll have to find someone locally who can help.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 207
em69. If the S-video connection isn't working, try hookup to tv using composite cables. Then flip through tv inputs as Bernie suggested. At this point we are troubleshooting. Get back to us.

Post Number: 7
I connected the DVD player directly to the TV using RCA cables (red, white and yellow). The DVD player works. So why won't the S-video connection work??

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 234
OK. We're making progress. There are several possibilities: (1) you have not correctly set up the DVD player and/or the tv to output and/or receive the S-video signal. Carefully read your manuals to check this out; (2) there is an internal problem with the DVD player and/or tv such that the player will not properly output and/or tv will not properly receive and display S-video signal; (3) defective S-video cable-look at the cable on both ends and check to see that all of the pins are present, not bent or missing or simply swap out the cable. After checking 1 and 3 above (not necessarily in that order) get back with us.

Unregistered guest
Hi,i just connected my laptop to my tv using svideo to rca connector,the trouble is i figured out how to get the image on the tv,everything is fine except for color,i tried display settings for the tv with different modes of pal,just doesnt work another thing is the sound i cant get audio to work on the tv,my svideo rca connector has three rca pins whilst the tv has only two but i was told that wouldnt be a problem,i have intel graphics 2 mobile on my fujitsu p7010,i tried putting different resolutions ,everything else is fine but now color ,can somehelp,i have a sharp tv,an oldie with av connections only but why doesnt color pick up i tried every mode on the tv and the laptop to match,the picture is just wonderful but no color:-(

Unregistered guest
I have surroundsound hooked to dvd recorder. When I play am or fm radio on surroundsound sound works great but when I watch tv or play dvd I only get about half the sound I should. Can you Please help?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2950
JohnAH,
Have you read your instruction manual and did you follow the connection diagram?

cb11214
Unregistered guest
HI,

I just bought a DVD recorder and after I hooked it up , I am able to play dvd's and also watch tv, but when I want to record, I get a fuzzy screen. I connected to it a sattelite receiver and my tv is an older model so I am using a rf modulator. How can they both work at the same time.

Thanks

jazzable
Unregistered guest
does surround sound work with terrestrial tv

Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have my DVD player connected to the RCA input of my reciever but when i watch DVD's on the DVD player I am not getting any surround sound. Do I have to use a different cable to get surround sound?

Anonymous

Hi
I want to find out if i can play a dvd on my lap-top and watch it on the tv if so what kind of cable do i need. My lap-top is a compaq M2000.
Would appreciate an answer from someone.
Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us