DVD/TV/Audio Receiver setup - where does S-Video go?

Skipstebr
Unregistered guest
I have a TV with S-Video as well as a DVD and Reciever with SVideo hookups. Do I put the S-Video from the TV to the DVD and then just leave the video aspect out of the receiver/tv connection? Do I hook up a S-video from the dvd to the receiver? BTW..I have four speakers, not surround. Main interest is music but may watch some music DVD's.

Username: Csilkman

Post Number: 2
I would hook your S-video from your DVD player to your receiver, and then S-video from your cable box to your receiver, and then S-video OUT to your T.V.

If you don't have a cable box then you need to go S-Video from your T.V and then back to it I believe.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 163
Connections depend to some extent on viewing preferences. However, the most direct path usually produces the best picture. Connect DVD S-video out directly to tv S-video in. Also connect DVD audio out to tv audio in (that corresponds with DVD in). Finally connect DVD optical or coaxial out to receiver optical or coaxial in. With this set up, you can watch DVD without having to turn on the receiver, if you like. As you acquire more gadgets (as my wife calls them) with S-video outputs, you may have to run all sources through the receiver unless your tv has multiple S-video inputs.

Username: Csilkman

Post Number: 4
Dale thanks for the remote help in my other post, but a question here. You say...

"Also connect DVD audio out to tv audio in (that corresponds with DVD in). Finally connect DVD optical or coaxial out to receiver optical or coaxial in"

Why would you want 2 audio outs? Is it just in case he didn't want to turn on the receiver?

skipstebr
Unregistered guest
thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have a cable box so I'm thinking I'll to:

S video from DVD to TV
Audio cables from Receiver to TV
Audio cables from Receiver to DVD

this seems like it would work?!?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 165
Yes. I thought I indicated that. It gives the person the opportunity to watch a source without turning on the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us