Could use some speaker advice for upgrading

Username: Novice

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I could use some help. I am upgrading my home theater system to a Yamaha RX-Z9. I currently have 15 year old speakers that I like, and would like to add on to them. I would like to know if this is a good idea or not, and what model speakers.

I currently have two Klipsch Forte IIs for mains, two Klipsch KG2 rears, a Klipsch Academy center, and a Miller Kreisel MK 7 II sub. First, am I correct in assuming I should stay with the Klipsh classics rather than mix with new Klipsch or other brands? Second, do I only need 4 small speakers such as the KG2s for the remaining channels to go to 9.1? My room is about 13x19 with high ceilings.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

George

Username: Salemdoom

Post Number: 5
the first thing you need to check is ohms and whattage (sorry if spelling is wrong), as long as your speakers can handle the amounts the amp pumps out you should be okay, this is the difficulty with some speakers, for example floorstanders can be 4ohms, yet amps generaly are 6-8ohms, so for example if the speaker in question was 4ohms it wouldnt work :-(
I hope this has been some help!
Soom :-)

Unregistered guest
GEORGE,
I, NO LONGER THAN 10 MINUTES AGO, GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH KLIPSCH TECH SUPPORT ASKING A SIMILAR QUESTION. I HAVE CHORUS SPEAKERS IN THE FRONT AND FORTES IN THE REARS. I WONDERED IF THE NEW KLIPSCH LINES WOULD PROVIDE BETTER PERFORMANCE FOR MY HOME THEATER. HIS RESPONSE WAS THAT THE SOUND OF CHORUS AND FORTE SPEAKERS, WHICH WERE FROM THE HERITAGE LINE, WOULD NOT NECCESARILY BE IMPROVED EVEN WITH THE THE BEST OF THE REFERENCE LINE. HE SUGGESTED I KEEP THEM. I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED, FIGURING THAT MY 14 YEAR OLD SPEAKERS HAD BECOME OBSOLETE SONICLY. I HAVE DECIDED TO KEEP WHAT I HAVE FOR NOW, BEING THAT I LOVE THE KLIPSCH SOUND FOR HOME THEATER. THE ONLY THING I DON'T HAVE, AND WISH I DID, IS THE ACADEMY CENTER. IF YOU EVER DECIDE TO SELL CONTACT ME.
TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK
RICK AUDINOT raudinot1@comcast.net

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 408
George,
I don't think the newer Klipsch such as the RF series are anywhere near as good as your older models. The newer models are incredibly bright and I have heard them with several brands of receivers and they have always sounded awful to me. A co-worker just last Friday got the new Elite vsx59txi and has a pair of 15 year old La Scalla's and he loves the combination. He was considering changing speakers until he got the 59 and has changed his mind. If you have not bought the Yamaha yet I would consider the Elite 59 as I feel it is a better match with Klipsch than the Yamaha. My co-worker got his 59 for $2574 from Dynaudio.com. Incredible receiver at an incredible price. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us