Mounting Center Channel Inside an Entertainment Center

Username: Messybug

Post Number: 1
I want to mount my center speaker inside of my entertainment center. My 30" Sony KV-30XBR910 fills the TV cabinet from right to left and leaves about 12" above the TV. I want to put a Boston Acoustic VR-MC in this space, but I have some concerns.
- If I "bolt" it to the top of the cabinet, will I have vibration issues? How could I avoid excess vibration?
- Should I try to build a shelf to sit the speaker on versus attaching it directly to the frame?
- I do not want to sit the speaker directly on top of the TV for aesthetic reasons. Have you ever seen some type of stand designed to sit on top of a TV?
I want a clean, professional look, which is why I do not want to sit the speaker on top of the entertainment center or on top of the TV. I would appreciate any advice or insight as to how I should mount the speaker in there.
Thanks.

Build a shelf...
Unregistered guest
Go for an additional shelf above the TV, just a matching piece of wood screwed to the frame would sufice.

I would avoid bolting the speaker directly to anything.. one - to not damage the speaker, two - you would probably be right about the excessive vibrations and dulling of sound quality.

The BA VR will happily siut more-or-less enclosed on all sides, but bear in mind that rear space must be open and a gap to the top (or sides) would be preferable.. unless it really looks bad!

Test different shelf height first.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 395
I wouldnt recommend bolting your speaker to the cabinet. I guess you could always build a shelf if that's your preference, but I dont know how the extra clutter created by an additional shelf would look 'cleaner' or more professional.

To me, having it sitting on the TV would be the cleanest look, but that's just me.

If you only have 12" of space on top of your TV, the shelf would restrict and reduce available space enought that no good center channel speaker would even fit in the tiny space. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot.....IMO. By the time you build a shelf on top of the tv, and cut your space, what in the world do you think would fit up there with the space left over??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us