Help with Home Theater setup and cables

Username: Insof

Post Number: 1
Please, help! I have Pioneer plasma TV with HDMI and I have a DVD player with HDMI. I also have Pioneer receiver, satellite receiver and 5.1 system. How to best connect everything and what cables to use? Monster cable is the best option?
Please help me with this one, since I have no idea about HDMI or coaxial cables and so on. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 106
First, try reading the owner's manual. However, unless (and perhaps, even if) your receiver has HDMI input/output, connect DVD HDMI output to tv HDMI input. Connect DVD coax or optical output to appropriate receiver input. If your receiver has both coax and optical inputs, use one or the other-not both. That should get you started.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 389
I'd recommend using your HDMI for your HDTV signal, then quality components for your DVD player.

As for audio, either dig/coax or optical will do. Whichever you prefer.

Until true HD-Dvds hit the market in force, I wouldnt worry about using the HDMI with your DVD player. When that day comes, I'll probably use HDMI for both, and buy a switch to connect both into my TV.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 125
Paul, I didn't understand Nikolay to say that his satellite receiver had an HDMI output. If it does, I would agree with you. Unfortunately, some posts don't contain sufficient info to elicit a helpful response.

Unregistered guest
I have sony DVD, and one Denon 1604 amp, I connected the two with digital coax cable, but the DTS led was not working while i'm playing with the dts DVDs... I using the rc cable insted of co-axial cable is it matters

Bronze Member
Username: Voriand

Post Number: 19
DTS is only transmited via the Optical Tos link cable. Not digitial coax.

At least that is how it is for my Sony DVD player.

Check your manual for DTS specific info.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 601
Answer,

DTS does work with digital coax. You need to do two three things to make sure DTS is working properly regardless of whether you're using optical or coaxial for your connection.

1. Check your DVD player menus to ensure DTS is enabled. Often times, you will need to do this manually the first time.

2. Make sure the DVD you are playing is, in fact, recorded with a DTS sountrack.

3. If it is a DTS, go into the DVDs audio setup, and select the DTS soundtrack on that specific discs menu. Many of the DTS movies that offer DTS sound, will offer multiple soundtracks and use a DD5.1 sountrack by 'default'. You'll need to manually select the DTS soundtrack from a list of options.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us