A/V Receiver is the Weak Link

Username: Jjsmith

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a DLP TV. (Samsung 5063). When planning the setup, I realized that I have digital connections on all components except the A/V Receiver. The A/V Receiver has all RCA-type connections (NO S-video, component video, etc). Most diagrams show digital connections in to the A/V Receiver and out to the components. I could use all the RCA type connections but I want a good video connection between the DVD player and the TV and the satellite receiver and the TV.

All I am trying to connect is a DVR satellite receiver, a DVD player and the A/V Receiver. We typically use the receiver just when watching movies (either through the DVD player or the satellite receiver).

Is there a way to connect these components and use the best video connections between the digital components and the TV but still get surround sound audio through the receiver when we want it? Is is as simple as connecting the components (DVD, satellite) to the TV then using the audio out jacks on the TV to the A/V Receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 188
You can hook it up if you dont mind 2 channel surround using the old style L/R connections, but why do that now that you have a fancy new TV with the latest technology?

Your receiver is holding you back, and it's time to thank it for all the good times, and put it out to pasture.

The only way you can take full advantage of your new equiptment, is to upgrade your outdated AV receiver. I recently went though the same thing, so I know exactly where you are coming from.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us