Need help laying out room

Username: Cire

Post Number: 1
I am finishing a room in my attic area. The room is 12 x 20 with 10 ft ceiling for 16 ft and then slopes at 45 degrees to 4 ft wall. That wall has a dormer with a small window. The wall at the other end has a door to the far right for attic access. The ideal spot to put a projection screen is my problem. I know it is on the wall opposite the dormer but the door makes it impossible to center the screen. I am not opposed to putting in a pull down screen and pull it down over the door.

Should I consider putting a pull down over the dormer or just using the 12' width of the room? I assume the best set up acoustically is to have the screen on one of the far walls of the rectangle.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 167
I would think at one end or the other, and not the width because of the low wall height combined with lack of enough width. Keep in mind that the 'so-called' ideal seating position is two screen widths from your screen, so even if you went with a smallish 6ft screen, you'd be sitting against the opposing wall, not to mention 4ft is too low to hang a screen. Heck, the darn thing would be touching the ground at that height. Plus, you'd be sitting against the back wall, and your back speakers would be crawling up your back.

If you went lengthwise, you could install an 6-8ft screen with no problem, have good spacing for your surround speakers on each side, and have plenty of room behind you for back speakers, popcorn maker, bar....etc...etc.

Just my 2 cents....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us