Sony LCD * Panasonic DLP Help needed!

Unregistered guest
OK...I have quite a saga to go through and would really appreciate any help I can get. I have narrowed my HDTV choices to the Panasonic 50" PT-50DL54 DLP and the Sony GW 50" KF50WE620 LCD RP. I really like the picture quality of the Sony better and it's on for an amazing deal right now, but I can't get past one issue. The connectivity of my notebook and the lack of connection points on the Sony. I have tried buying a VGA cable and a VGA-DVI converter so that I can connect my notebook, but apparently there is a difference between the type of DVI connection on the Sony and the type of connector I would need. (There were 4 extra pins on the DVI connector I bought when compared to the Sony's connector). In addition I have heard all sorts of horror stories surrounding this Sony's difficulty with PC connectivity. If someone could give me a step by step of how to set up my PC with this Sony, I would go and buy it today! I don't fully understand some threads I have read about tweaking the service menu as some PC's appear to work OK without doing this and some don't (dependant on Video card). I am really at a loss right now on these TV's because of this conundrum - it comes down to Picture Quality vs. Connectivity. I did have my Notebook hooked up to the Panasonic and was dissappointed that even though I have a widescreen laptop, I can only get a 4:3 screen on the Panny. My other issues with the Panny are that it is priced a touch higher and the replacement bulbs are almost 2X's as much as the Sony's. Please help as the Sale ends on the Sony on the 28th!!

Here is a listing of the equipment that I am planning on using:

- Toshiba Satellite P10 with Media Centre
- Nvidia GeForce GO 5600 with S Video and VGA outputs

Please help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 14
TechLore ( www.techlore.com ) has a set of articles that may help you narrow down your choice. It's long, but there's a lot of good info. Here's the link to the first in the series: http://www.techlore.com/article/10497/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us