Any HELP would be appreciated, please.

Username: A_ny_outlaw

Post Number: 2
I have a question on my home theater hook-up. I had everything hooked up and working properly. My system consists of Philips TV, Philips Hi-fi VCR, Pioneer DV-C503 DVD/ CD changer and Pioneer VSX-1014TX Receiver. Everything sounded great. However, I replaced the smaller tv I had hooked-up with my other 36" Philips 2-tuner television that just came back from the repair center. I hooked up the components on the back of the tv, the exact same way as the back of the smaller television. I did not unhook anything from the receiver. However when I go to listen to surround sound from the television, no sound comes from the receiver unless I have it turned all the way up on full blast. Even then, the sound is very low. When the television volume is turned all the way to zero, no sound comes from the receiver speakers. What the heck could have happened?

Also- another question is this....do I need to have a video cable from the MONITOR OUT on the back of the receiver to the AUDIO IN on the back of the TV AND a separate video cable from the tv VIDEO OUT to the TV/SAT IN on the back of the receiver? The book is very unclear on this. It appears that both may be needed, however it seemed to work fine with my smaller TV where I only had one cable from the monitor out hooked up at that time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 502
please post the question once only
why did you post it two time people are not going to answer any fasted with you posting to twice

you all ready post it on thisHome > Message Board > Home Theater > Home Theater Setup & Planning > Houston We Have A Problem

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/123737.html

Jason T

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 20
I'll take a crack at this. Some tvs require you to turn of the internal speakers before sending an audio signal to am amplifier. Check to see that you do not have the tv sound muted. Verify that connections are correct-tv audio out to amp in and not the other way around. If this doesn't work, try hooking a cd player to the same amp input to determine whether it is the source or the amp. As to the second part of your question I am really taking a shot in the dark not really understanding your set up. First determine if you want all audio/video signals to be channeled through your amp so that to watch your vcr, satellite (or DVD) you would have to turn on your amp. If this is your preference, use the appropriate av cables and connect them from the source component (vcr, satellite, DVD,etc) audio/video out to the amp a/v inputs. Then run the appropriate av cable from your amp monitor out to your tv in. Whether you use composite, s-video or component cable depends on what your amp and tv can accommodate. Either video cable will have to be accompanied by an audio cable. In most setups composite or s-video or component from source out and in to amp will require the corresponding cable out to your monitor. With this connection, you will have to turn on your amp to watch all source components. To watch tv and listen to surroud sound (assuming you have corrected the problem that lead to this discussion), turn on the set and amp, select corresponding input and enjoy. Hope this helps. If not, give me a holler.

Post Number: 3
First of all, thanks for the advice Dale. I tried many different scenerios. some worked some didn't. The DVD works fine. The VCR works ok (for both tape and tv channel) except when I go to swap the PIP, the sound doesn't swap like it should. (The PIP requires me to have a splitter for a 2 tuner tv) since I don't use a cable box. Another thing that puzzles me is the subwoofer volume is very low. despite being turned up on high. No cables or speaker wires were removed from the speakers or receiver when I switched out TV's. This is what perplexes me most. Both tv's I had are Philips, both had AV out jacks and AV in jacks. I've connected them the same way when the home theater system was working properly. To all of a sudden not have things working right seems odd. I've wondered if somehow settings on the receiver got automatically readjusted or set to default when I unplugged the power strip from the wall. The book makes no mention of this. All of my components (DVD and VCR) indeed go through the amp as you mention, so I agree that it does need to be turned on to watch these things. The component video cord that I have going from the monitor out on the back of the amp is connected to the back of the TV video IN. I think the thing that is confusing me most about this, is that the manual for the amp shows a television "monitor" which I have connected in the manner I just described. Then they also show a "TV Tuner" which is connected by what appears to be a component video out to the TV/Sat IN on the back of the amp (separate port). I didn't have the second video cord hooked up in my prior hook-up with the smaller TV, however it may be necessary for the larger tv. Thanks for the help. I will purchase a second video cord and attempt to see if this solves the problem.

To the other e-mails I received, schematic diagrams ARE NOT HELPFUL at this stage of chaos. I had very precise questions that needed to be asked. Secondly, I posted the first message YESTERDAY AFTERNOON. No one responded while many other questions were answered after my post. I was hoping at the least, maybe someone knew a technical number I can could have called for help. I didn't know posting a message twice was going to turn people's worlds upside down. Sorry.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 29
Jason, don't worry about it. Some people are a**holes and think they should be accorded some special preference because they have knowledge about certain subjects. Me, I'm just happy to be able to help someone.

bjakeski
Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a Sony KV-30HS420. I am looking for information on connecting it to a Motorola DCT 224/1661 CATV Converter, a Replay TV, and a Toshiba SD-3960 DVD player. I am hoping to be able to do this set up so that I can watch live TV while the Replay TV is recording on a different station. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Also Should I use all monster cables? Component for video and audio? Will the signal coming out of the Replay TV look good on the Sony and will the Sony be compatible with the Toshiba DVD player? Thanks!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us