Universal Remote...which one??

Username: Jeff_kushner

Severna Park..near Ann..., MD USA

Post Number: 2
You can see the equipment I have below. Which is the best remote to get to control everything? Maybe I should add that I'm a selfconfessed "remote-dummy".

I understand macros but I will probably have to set a few of them since to go from DVD's or cable to VHS tapes my TV has to switch from "video-5" to "video-1" , the receiver also has to switch from "video-1" to "video-2" .

I've got a cable, a AV system,a dvd/vcr combo and tv remote on my table right now and I shudder to think that I'll have to teach my wife and two kids how to switch everything around. Please help me out guys and tell me the way to salvation<s>!!

Post Number: 3
(click on my name to see what equipment I'm trying to control)

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 453
lol

well you hit the nail on the head
when you watch cable or vcr on tv you do not have to switch video mode on the tv remote
but when you want to watch a dvd, you most time will have to use the buttom called tv/video on the tv remote to turn to a diffrent mode so the dvd can come in on the tv
now you have a dvd vcr cobo

well you have to use the remote to play vcr dvd and to turn to either dvd or vcr mode

Post Number: 4
Thanks Arnie...but the dvd and the cable both work on the component input (component output from the Onkyo 770) to the TV. all I have to do is turn on the vcr/dvd and hit play and ALSO switch the Onkyo to DVD..........that's the easy part<lol>!!

The VCR part of the vcr/dvd combo works only on the composite input of the tv (video-1)so I have to switch modes on the tv as well as switching modes of the Onkyo and turning one and hitting play on the vcr!!

There has GOT to be an easier way!!

Bronze Member
Username: Os2dude

Marietta , GA USA

Post Number: 44
Try GOOGLEing 'intelligent remote', 'programmable remote', or something to that effect. If there is a HI-FI BUYS near you, check them out. The one here has some good (Not Cheap) programmable remotes.

Get one that can learn the codes from your current remotes. An even better (& expensive) option are the programmable remotes that you can hook to your PC and up/dn load macro programs. (My brother has one that lets him program macros with discrete codes, and he can even assign .BMP pictures to the macro. Too Cool!)

(Discrete Codes are ON, OFF, instead of a toggle like most remotes use. Using them allows you to be SURE the device is in the state you need, instead of hoping it is. You can find them on the web for many devices.)

Post Number: 5
Chris, I was reading up on the sony RM-AV2500 and the Logitech Harmony H659 (downloadable)...it seems just my speed...not cheap but seems like it would work. Anybody else have any experiences with this? Or advice to share??

Clyde Crashcup
Unregistered guest
I just went through a couple of Harmony's by Logitech.. nice stuff ....
The 688 had buttons too small for my bologna fingers, but did offer a 4th activity button up front, but I settled on the 680. It did the trick for the wife and kids. Now they push 1 button to run what ever there hearts desire, watch a DVD or DVR or cable, FM, CD etc The remote user interface is an "activity based" remote. You push the TV button and my HLP 5063 goes to "component 1" input, the Yamaha 5760 is in control of the audio and my SA DV8000 controls the cable and the DVR. And with just the push of a few well laid out and very tactile buttons, I can go further to program every function from the 6 remote I previously required...
Simple for the kids but also has the flexibility to allow me to do advanced programming and customizing. The USB interface from the remote to my laptop and web based set up is a snap ( as long as you have dsl, cable or lucky you, a T1 line) albeit sometimes a little off base with the verbiage translation. The old verb before noun sentence syntax you know.
Any how, it fits right in you hand as opposed to the larger "lap size" remotes. Visit remote central.com for a good " General" web site on what else ,remote controls for today's advanced home entertainment systems. To satisfy the ladies in my house the $129 Harmony 680 from Surf Audio Video and the 25% rebate from Logitech, went a long way in calming the home front!.

Samsung HLP 5063 ( DLP baby!, it's the future, best thing since the CRT!)
Scientific Atlanta HD cable box with 120G HD DVR
Time Warner HD cable (oh well better than voom, but that's another story)
Yamaha 5760 AV receiver
6 JBL's
Samsung DVD HD 841
Samsung DVD V 4800 DVD/VCR

Post Number: 6
That's what I was looking for Clyde & Chris...solutions!! Thanks for the advice...I'm going to order my Harmony o/l since it's $50 less then buying it in the store. I'll gladly spend some extra cash to NOT have to setup a bunch of macros.

Thanks again guys!!

Username: Gojhawks

Post Number: 8
I just received my Harmony 659 this week and love it so far. It is so nice to push one button and have the tv,cable box and receiver all turn on and be on the right input. Then I can press another to watch DVD etc. I even like pressing one button and everything shuts off! I have been tweaking my remote on the harmony site and am really enjoying my new toy. The end table looks kind of strange without the 4 remotes stacked there. LOL!

Post Number: 7
I'm not going to miss the "stack" Perry...it is easier to teach my 6y/o then it is to teach my wife though<lol>....I ordered the 688 on friday (for the 4 activity buttons-Amazon.com $159.)and can't wait for it to arrive!

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 463
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTEN TID=8865
Logitech Harmony 659 Advanced Universal Remote

is this the one you are talking about

Username: Gojhawks

Post Number: 9
That is my new remote. I picked it up from Amazon.com for just under $100. So far I am loving it. It is my understanding all of the 6xx series of Harmony remotes have same basic programing ability, just some differences in button layout and some have a few additional buttons for PVR etc. I am finding that it is very easy to go onto the Logitech website and tweak things. I have even set it up to operate my XM SkyFi radio when I am using it hooked ot my surround receiver.

Is it a necessity? No. Does it makes things much easier. Without a doubt. Being able to hit one button to watch TV and have the TV, cable box and receiver all come on and set to right inputs is so nice. Then to watch a DVD, hit Watch Movie button and everything changes to right inputs. I love having remotes as much as next guy but when I finish watching and hit Off and everything shuts down I just smile.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us