DTS ES Matrix on the Onkyo Ht-S770

Username: Thalazy

San Ramon, California U.S.A

Post Number: 1
I just recently upgraded from the Onkyo Ht-S760 to the 770. I read the manual on how to set up DTS ES audio even for 5.1 channel audio (Matrix) on (p42). When I set it up like the manual says I get DTS+DD Ex. I was wondering how do I access DTS ES Matrix. I was playing Half Baked using DTS and was having no such luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2747
If the DVD is not encoded in DTS, you will not be able to access the DTS on your HT. Different compression format so there is no way around it. I don't believe "Half-Baked" is in DTS, only Dolby.

DTS-ES Matrix is an automatic selection done by your receiver. Much like Dolby Digital, it can be activated only by the receiver. It is flagged by your DVD player and the receiver will process the signal. If you want to listen to all the speakers, use NEO:6...another DTS format which you can be user activated on the receiver.

Post Number: 2
Thank you very much, for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 33
I have the same system and you can set it to use standard DTS signals as an ES-Matrix signal. Under the setup menu on the reciever go to the 4th submenu, I think it's Sound Options. For both DD-EX and DTS-ES there will be settings: off, auto, and on. If you select "on" it will always matrix the standard signals into 6.1. I'm not sure if it's just using Neo:6 and PLIIx to do this or the matrix decoders are just cloning these rear channels. This helps alot to complete the soundfield IMO but it is not a unique channel like you would get with true EX, ES-Matrix or ES-Discreet. hope this helps!

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 34
ps. I forgot to mention this before, but as a side note, I believe you have to be decoding DD or DTS while you go into the setup menu to access their respective settings.

Post Number: 3
Thank you all for your help. I guess I missread the poorly written info on (p42) it states in the beginning that when the setting is turned on it will always play DTS ES,then below that is states DTS encoded programming may play in DTS+DD Ex, Neo 6, PL 2x. It is confusing because Matrix is supposed to simulate 6.1 on 5.1 audio format, so you would think when playing DTS 5.1 it would decode it in DTS ES Matrix. Otherwise I might as well just play a dvd is Dolby Digital EX, oh well the system still rocks. Again thanks for all your help.

Post Number: 4
Very interesting update, I put in Jurassic Park 3 and played in DTS and low and behold it was playing in DTS ES Matrix, so apparently it's the Half-Baked special edition dvd, I just put that in and it's encoding in DTS+DD EX, So I am relieved to know that it's the dvd and not the system. Thank you all for your help. I can now sit back and enjoy my system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us