Perplexing 7.1 connection

Username: Jmal

Post Number: 1
Help! I recently purchased a Kenwood VR8060s 7.1 channel AV receiver. The problem is that I cannot get my Surround Back speakers (Klipsch S-5's) connected in 7.1 mode. The rear of the receiver has 2 SB screw-type/banana posts marked +/- (not L/R) and 2 preout RCA jacks marked L/R.

I have no clue how to run speaker cables from the preout RCA jacks to the screw posts on the Klipsch S-5's. So I wired each of the SB's +/- wires together and have them connected to the SB +/- posts on the receiver. This results in a single SB speaker, or 6.1 configuration.

Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 101
Its not clear to me what your're doing but it doesnt sound good.

Username: Yarlie

Post Number: 3
Your Kenwood VR8060 is a 6.1 powered amp.
It's 6 x 100, two front, one center, two rear, one center rear.
It appears that it is 7.1 ready but requires an external amp.

Username: Jmal

Post Number: 2
Well, I checked the receiver and it is indeed a 6.1 (6x100), able to be connected to a second amp for true 7.1 sound. As to my current 6.1 configuration with 2 speakers, I have simply wired the 2 Klipsch S5's in parallel, thus reducing resistance from 8 ohms to 4 ohms on the SB's. I don't know if this will cause any damage to either the speakers or the receiver, but they seem to sound OK.

Perhaps I should get an external amp for true 7.1, but is the additional expense really worth it?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2745
You don't want anything lower than 8 ohms on that receiver. Your receiver will go into protect mode and will be damaged.

If you want an external amp, try the Outlaw Audio 7100. It is a 7 channel amp. I use it on a Kenwood KRF9080D, and it is well worth it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us