Yamaha Sound Field Selections

Username: Mglodfelter

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Yamaha 1500. It is a great receiver but I have a question. How can I select the DTS 6.1 formats such as DTS 96/24, EX, ES Matrix 6.1, ect. The manual list many of them but I can't access them. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for you help.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 85
I recently bought a rxv2500 and have been playing around with the same things.

Keep in mind, a majority of DVDs are not recorded in DTS. I was specifically looking for one last night and had to thumb through 30 of my dvds before I found one with the DTS logo. I used 'I Robot' as my test DVD since it was recorded in several formats including DTS.

To make the dvd play in DTS, I had to go to the DVD menue audio options and choose DTS from the available formats. Hearing all the chatter regarding DTS, I was surprised while searching though my DVD archive to see how few are recorded in DTS.

You also need make sure you set things up properly, and are playing in true 5.1 sound, be sure to check your audio information via the on-screen menue to check your audio. On the 2500, it's at the bottom of the first line of menue options. When I first hooked my DVD player up, I didnt have my DVD player settings correct, and I was unknowingly playing in a 2 channel simulated surround. Hope that helps. Like you, Im just learning the new technology in home theater and having a blast doing it:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
BTW........toggling back and forth, I noticed the DTS bitrate was higher when I referred to my audio properties in the main menue as compared to dolby digital.

Both sounded good, but if DTS has a higher bitrate, that would make it better, right??? Is more better in this situation?? I figure it cant hurt.

I've also been experimenting with which format to use for playing regular dolby digital sources(since many are only DD).

From what I can see, it doesnt matter whether I pick DolbyII,DolbyIIx, or Neo6. My setup is in a 5.1 configuration, and they all seem to play and sound the same.

As for which Theater settings, I tend to gravitate to the Yahama DSP settings(IE,Specticle, Sci-Fi, Adventure...etc..etc) I think those are great.

Good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
BTW, I just hooked up my 2500 on saturday, so Im in the same boat as yourself and learning by playing with the settings. What better way to spend a monday off babysitting a sick napping youngster than experimenting with a new toy, right??

From what I'm learning, the DVD iself is 'everything' when it comes to listening to DTS sources. My second test disc 'the butterfly effect', has DTS listed as one of it's sources. It's a two sided DVD with the directors cut on one side, and the theatrical release on the other.

While watching the theatrical release, I could toggle back and forth between DTS-2channel, and dolbyEX in 5.1 channel. I thought...what??? Whats the deal with that???

Anyway, after flipping the DVD, I learned I could play in 5.1 DTS on only the directors cut version of the DVD.

I guess the moral of the story is each disc is different, and you need to pay attention to each DVD because each is recorded differently, and has different options available.

You'll also see that while watching DVDs, if your in automatic mode, some DVDs will blay back in DolbyII, some will play in DolbyEX...etc...etc....

Each disc is different, and you have to take what they give you.

BTW, they all sound great:-) It's like having to choose between 92 and 93 octane gasoline and deciding which is better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
BTW, you can quickly toggle back and forth between available sound formats without returning to the main DVD menu by pressing the audio button on your DVD remote.

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 48
Dolby ex is nothing unless you have a extra rear surround,right? 6.1 is a center surround in back and 7.1 is another set of surrounds in the back,right?

Username: Natish

India

Post Number: 10
Mark, u can't select dts 96/24 since it is disc dependent and u can simulate 6.1 by dts ex matrix and dolby es matrix even from a 5.1 disc.but u should configure a 6.1 setting in the amp. dts ex discrete is seperate encoding format avl only in disc.

Post Number: 3
Thanks to all. S Nataraj you nailed it for me. It's not the receiver but the disk I feed it. I feel much better now. I replaced my Outlaw 1050 with this yamaha and now I have much more to learn. Anyone needing an Outlaw? : )

Post Number: 4
BTW, I am curious how much you paid for your 1500. I got this great deal. I went to my local yamaha dealer to buy the discontinued 1400 for $544.00. Computer said they had four left. I purchased it and the salesman went to the back to fetch it for me. When he came back he had a 1500 and told me they didn't have the 1400. So he ended up giving me the 1500 for the same price. I did not argue with him! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us