6.1 surround setup - yamaha htr5740 receiver

Username: Cyberpac9

Post Number: 4
ok, here's what i have (everything works):
Mitsubishi wd-52525, yamaha htr5740 receiver, jbl SCS160SI 6.1 surround sound (and other equipment).

because of the shape of my room, etc, i'm limited to the placement of my television and speakers. my television is in a corner, directly under my Left Front speaker. i have the Center speaker on top of my television. (i have an image, but had trouble uploading it - but i can provide an image of my layout.)

now, since i'm new to surround sound i don't know all the specifics about it. thus, when i watch TV i don't know if i get the quality i should expect. i get most of my dialogue out of my center speaker and other sounds out of my other 5 speakers - although the front 2 speakers are louder than the 2 surround and back center speaker. is this normal, or do i need to make adjustments? should all 6 speakers produce about the same amount of sound? or should i get dialogue out of the center and EQUAL amounts of sound out of the remaining 5?

a second question i have is in regards to my receiver - yamaha htr5740. the receiver has alot of programmed sound fields - TV Theater, Movie Theater, Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic, Pro Logic II, Pro Logic IIx, jazz, rock, etc. is there a general sound field (or automatic) to be selected, or when i change between the radio/cd's, TV, DVDs, do i have to change the sound field every time? i'd like the best sound all the time and not have to fool with it each time i switch between different connections.

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Username: Sampson

Post Number: 1
I have the yamaha 5750 and they are very similar. I think I'm right in saying that your receiver should have a test tone that you can use to balance the volume of each speaker. check your manual. Also you should get the dialogue out of the center speaker and the other sound effects from surround sound from the other speakers. As for settings I find that the 6.1 stereo setting is good for most tv viewing, but when I watch a dvd I change the setting according to how the dvd is encoded it usually says on the dvd case.

Anonymous

move left front speaker to the left....or at least angle it to the left....set dvd to auto and tv to pro logic 2. The receiver will remember the settings...when u become more comfortable with the receiver play around with the surround parameters..delay etc...until it sounds right to u. use a dvd u are familiar with or pick up a copy of dvd essentials or similar
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us