Home Theater Hookup Questions

Dreagar
Unregistered guest
Purchasing a new TV gave me the opportunity to clean up cables and rewire the system. I also finally had a chance to use component video hookups from my DVD player. The bad thing is I disconnected everything before realizing my receiver manual is missing. I hooked everything up and it seemed to work fine until I applied a bit of volume, at which point it tripped the protection circuit. Checking connections left me with a few questions to see what I did wrong.

1. I hooked up both a coax digital cable and the analog RCA 5.1 channel outputs from my DVD player to the receiver. Are both hookups necessary or could that cause a problem?

2. I forgot the coax digital was directional, and it was hooked up the wrong way. This would seem a likely culprit for the problem, except that the first time it happened was with satellite as the source, not the DVD player. Could just having that hooked up the wrong way cause noise or interference?

3. Subwoofer. I have a powered subwoofer with two line inputs. The receiver has two line outputs. I have a single subwoofer cable. It worked fine before, but I cannot now remember which plug in to use (top/bottom) with just the one cable. This is the most likely source of the problem, since both DVD and satellite utilize the subwoofer. The cable is also directional and I assume the arrows point from output to input, which is how it is hooked up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Unregistered guest
Dreagar,

Neither the coax cable nor your subwoofer cable is directional.

If your receiver is going into protection mode, check your speaker connections. You may have a wire touching the back panel of your receiver, causing a short.

Also, if your subwoofer has two inputs, most likely one is to use the sub's crossover, and the other bypasses it.

Dreagar
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply, Nathan.

Both cables had directional stickers on them, so I assumed they were.

I checked all connections both at the speaker and on the back panel of the receiver.

On the subwoofer, the two inputs are Line In L and R. The two outputs on the back of the receiver are just labeled 'subwoofer line out'.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us