Optical Digital Audio - what would you do?

Username: Confoosious

Post Number: 1
Hello Everyone,

I just got a new Sony Dream system. It has one optical audio input so i'm trying to figure out what should go to it? My Xbox or my Satellite Reciever/Tivo. I use both equally the same amount of time. Is the Satellite inherently lower quality audio than the xbox?

Also, I have a video question. My Sony DAV-FC9 is connected to my tv via component video. Now, if I connect the Xbox or Satellite video to the FC9 via the video cables, shouldn't the sony then pass it along to the tv via the component cable? This doesn't seem to be working. I need to connect it to the tv directly or via the composite cable. Seems like a waste.

thanks.

Unregistered guest
VIDEO
For the sony to send the signal directly to the tv (using composite to the dream system, and component to the tv) It would have to be able to upconvert. This is a feature only found on recievers $1500 and up. The reason for this is that a composite cable has to contain luminance and chrominance, however on a component cable, one cable caries luminance, and two carry chrominance (if I remember right). To be able to convert it, the color has to be analysed and split, therefore it is only featured on high performance recievers.

AUDIO
I would use the optical cable to the satellite. An optical/dig. coax. cable is the only way to get digital surrround sound. Thus, unless you crave surround sound on games, it will benefit you more on satellite. Good luck and I hope you are happy with your purchase. The sony dream system is not to bad, especially in looks. However, they could have put more thought into the audio inputs.

Scottro
Unregistered guest
Another option would be to buy an A/V selector box to increase your number of digital inputs. I got one at RadioShack last weekend with 6 optical in/2 out for $100. It also has composite and S-video jacks (6 in/2 out - and claims composite to S-video boosting) - so perhaps you could indeed run the component lines for your satellite and an S-video for your Xbox out to the TV, while maintaining full digital audio. So you compromise on the video but retain the audio - not compromise both. There's also an A/V selector made by Pelican (a game accessory company) I saw at Best Buy, also for $100. - It had a mess of of jacks - S video, component, composite, optical, even ethernet jacks. I liked the Radio Shack box because of the S-video signal boost (which saved me $35 on cables for my PS2) but the Pelican may be more of what you need. In fact, the Radio Shack box was a floor model and isn't on their website, so maybe they're discontinuing. But here's the Pelican Pro Selector:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&CategoryID=cat08130&id=1051826268119 &skuId=5406081&type=product

Scottro
Unregistered guest
As a footnote: I was just at GameStop/Babbage's...they carry the Pelican selector for $79.99

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us