Onkyo HTS-770

Username: Daishiwarrior

Post Number: 1
I have an onkyo hts-770 in a room. The room is quite big, I guess 2000sqft, and has an lcd projector which is mounted a to the left of the room. Is this makes the speakers weird because it is louder on one side. Is there any other way to calibrate this system besides a test disk?

There is usually quite a big audience in the room wacing a movie, how can i make the sound more even?

Also, I noticed that the rear speakers are quiet, and the subwoofer does not put out good lfe. How should I correct for that? Does this receiver have a problem with its lfe decoding? Also, how high should the subwoofer cutoff be. It is currently at 150khz. What should the speaker sizes be set to?

The current setting are:
subwoofer cutoff- 150khz
subwoofer- 3db
surround right level- 3db
surround right size- small
surround center level- 3db
surround center size- small
surround left level- 4db
surround left size- small
left level- 1db
left size- large
center level- 0db
center size- large
right level- 0db
right size- large
all the wierd dsp effects are off
opti-response is on
distance settings are set to the correct distances

A couple other quesitons, the biulding is made of concrete. Is that bad for acoustics? Also, is it true that this system can outperform a $2000 system?

602 too
Unregistered guest
Manual states 100-120hz as appropriate for this speaker size.Buffer those concrete walls with some drapes. I'm happy with my cheapo Onkyo HTiB, dts disks can even get quite scary real sounding. Get a $40 Radio Shack meter, set the speakers to 75db at the listening position. Align your speakers with a $30 laser level. You may have to hunt down those standing waves with a test cd. Trust your ears, tht's why God put 'em where He put 'em. Don't worry about $2000 systems, Onkyo gave you a good deal.

Post Number: 3
75db pink noise? Is it 75db total or from each speaker?

602 too
Unregistered guest
75 db each speaker as indicated by the Radio Shack meter. About the equal of the human voice. If your receiver doesn't have a build in pink noise generator you can use FM with out the antenna connected.

Post Number: 4
Have you ever noticed any problems with the base decoding. What about rear surrourd? Did you turn it up on yours.

Post Number: 4
Have you ever noticed any problems with the base decoding. What about rear surrourd? Did you turn it up on yours.

mikeceehamm
Unregistered guest
Hey Roy,

Problem is someone told you that this system will outplay a $2000 system. Would that be a real $2000 system or a grossly overpriced $200 system.
The Onkyo system is a $300 receiver, a $200 Subwoofer, and $200 set of speakers at best. At $449 it is a good deal for the money, but a 20 x 20 with concrete walls (basement maybe) will definitely bring out some flaws. Carpet and curtains will help but only so much. Take this to heart, most any system in your environment will need some assistance to sound good. take care

602 too
Unregistered guest
Don't quite know what you mean by 'base decoding'. An extra icon will appear on the tv screen depicting which coding format is being 'translated' ( DTS or Dolby ). You have to use the optical or co-ax digital inputs; however. Set all your speakers to the same output with a sound level meter at your listening position. We started this conversation with a possible polarity problem. Are you sure all 'reds' are to plus and blacks to minus? One tweak at a time please.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us