"Phantom" Rear Centre channel ???

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 70
Someone asked me the other day if it was possible to connect a centre REAR surround channel to a receiver that's only set-up for 5.1 surround. This receiver does not have provisions for the 6th channel (6.1), by means of either a speaker connector or a dedicated rear centre RCA output (for use with an external amp).

From a straight stereo amplifier (no surround receiver), I've read that it's possible to create a poor man's 'phantom' surround, by connecting the positive outputs of EACH side (left and right) of your mains, and connecting them to two rear speakers. It would be connected as follows...

(sorry I can't draw it!)

Amp Left + to Rear L Speaker +

Rear L Speaker - to Rear R Speaker -

Rear R Speaker + to Amp L +

SO - the question is... would this actually work? I know that the connections are as such to create an out-of-phase environment - thus the illusion of surround. Anyone have any insight? I am wondering that if this works for a 'phantom' surround gimmick, would it work if you used the two rear surround channels in your 5.1 setup - and connect them as you would above (swapping the "Amp L +" for surround L +)?

My answer to this person was to go out and buy a 6.1 receiver if they really wanted it that bad... but alas, no luck.

TPE
Unregistered guest
Why?? The use of phantom imaging is very popular with stereo applications. True phantom imaging is developed on speaker placement and refract points....so why try to hook the system up different!? How is the sound output (intended for the front channels) going to give surround if you hook up to the back....though a entertaining thought...think about it, the plane on the screen is comming towards you and at the same time it will sound if one is comming from behind... If you want a poor mans surround go to best buy..better yet buy a bose system.

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 72
TPE - no need for the insult with the BOSE remark. If you would have read the post correctly - the object was to make a phantom surround BACK out of the existing SURROUND rears. Therefore your remark about the sound / screen relationship is irrelevant. The initial description of using the mains was for example purposes only. AND - as stated this is not for me... I don't imagine I need to screw up my NAD T773 / Totem Acoustic set-up with this style of wiring.

J.Vigne... thanks for the link. I've passed it on, and that person can make their own decision. I appreciate your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us