Budget Speaker System Advice

Username: Whiterat

Post Number: 1
Here's the situation:
I've got a 13'x15' room (longer East-to-West), heavy velvet curtaining on the East and West walls, typical apartment carpet, upstairs in a wood-frame house so I have to watch my floor reverb. Screen is against the West wall in front of the curtains, couch for viewing/listening is positioned with a 3' path behind it leading into a corridor out of the room. I am not an audiophile and often don't notice distinctions in speakers that audiophiles do.

Current equipment:
NEC HT1000 Projector
Yamaha HTR 5760 AV Receiver
PC I'm working on configuring as an AVPC
no-name DVD-player
no-name big cabinet speakers about to be garbage
no-name satellite speakers about to be garbage

I have a little under $1K to spend on speakers.
I have a preference for small satellites.
I'd like to be 6.1 compatible at least and 7.1 if possible.
I'd be buying some kind of Bose Acoustimass if I weren't convinced by so many that they're junk, and most specifically that they have a flat spot right in the range of most lower male vocalists (I listen to a fair amount of Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits).

Under $1K there are a variety of possible systems that'd fit this bill. I recognize that many of you pay a great deal more for a single speaker than this.

Should I be looking at one of the many 'Home Theater Speaker Package' deals? Should I be buying individual lower-end speakers? I would greatly appreciate your advice.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
Take a look at any paradigm system in your price range...they are all great! go to www.paradigm.com and locate a dealer near you.

I myself have paradigm speakers in my living room, and they are absolutely incredible for the price.

gavin

SimpleLife
Unregistered guest
Check out www.orbaudio.com. They are the cream of the crop in satellites, in my mind.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us