Receiver LFE crossover

Username: Snejk

Post Number: 4
My Marantz SR5000 receiver doesn't allow me to set the LFE crossover and i cannot find the fixed crossover on its manual.
All my speakers are set to small and Sub to ON.
Web sites suggests that a typical fixed crossover of a receiver will be 80Hz.

My main concern is :
If i vary the crossover ON THE SUB from 80Hz to its maximum (140Hz) there is definately a wider range of frequency produced by the sub woofer.
Does this mean that the crossover of my amp is higher than 80hz ?

I dont really want to have directional bass over 80Hz, yet again i dont want to have a range of frequencies which isnt played, which i think is even worse..

Any suggestions please??
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 53
Unfortunately, not all HiFi manufacturers follow Dolby Labs' 80Hz-cutoff recommendation. Some receivers have the cutoff at 100Hz or a little higher. If the low filter on the receiver is too high, we don't want to set the crossover freq on the sub too low and at the same time, we do not want to set the subwoofer's crossover too high either. One thing we can do is to use a second subwoofer for the front left and front right channels. Connect this sub to the amp and the front left/right speakers to the sub via the speaker-level in/out on the sub. Set the front left & right speakers to Large and set the sub's crossover to any cutoff point you prefer. Then the bass management on the receiver will direct the low frequency sound from other channels to the front left & right channels leaving only the LFE signal to the main subwoofer. You'll need to set the crossover on the main sub to its max or around 120Hz because the LFE signal contains bass information up to 120Hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us