DTS question?

Bronze Member
Username: Spshond

Post Number: 38
I was watching gladiator last night & I noticed that I was able to pick DTS on the disk menu for the audio of the movie. I than chose DTS on my Yamaha RXV1400. No sound came out. As soon as I changed the Disk Menu to 5.1, the sound came out. What is going on here? I have the yamaha 1400 running Energy Encore setup. 2 fronts, 2 rears, center & sub. Please let Help me be able to listen to DTS...

mark654321
Unregistered guest
Sounds like your receiver doesn't support DTS. Inorder to play DVDs with DTS you must have a Player and amplifier that can decode DTS.

Bronze Member
Username: Spshond

Post Number: 42
RXV1400 is DTS, THX, Dolby Digital IIX. Its has just about everything out there that I need.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 253
make sure that the DVD player is configured to put out DTS signals, if it is capable. Set your Yamaha to auto detect.

cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Hampshire

Post Number: 15
I believe you need to be running a digital optical or digital coaxial line between the dvd player and receiver also. If you are using an analog connection it won't work.

Bronze Member
Username: Boca

Post Number: 11
Yes, it looks like your DVD player output is not set to digital.
Check if your optical output on DVD is set ON.
Otherwise you are playing analog signal with no signal result

Username: Mattzzz420

Post Number: 3
i have a rx-v 3300 and have had the same problem. first press your dvd button until dvd-dts appears, then press 11 on the lower section of the remote, then sometimes #12 depending on prior setting. oh, get the PCM cable(fiber optic) it make a differencne even on just cds if your dvd supports pcm that is. good luck

Unregistered guest
I have a "Dolby Digital & DTS & 5.1ch surround"-DVDs only. However I am not sure if it is really properly transputed as TruSurround/DTS or not.

I have Pioneer DV-464-S Player (SRS TruSurround) and just bought a Kenwood HBT-S500 Home-Theater-System with 2 front-boxes, 2 rear-boxes, 1 center-box and a Subwoofer.
I have configured the DVD-Player to "Digital Out > On", "Digital Dolby Out > Dolby Digital", "DTS Out > DTS", "96 KHz PCM Out > 96 KHz", "MPEG OUT > MPEG", as well the Input-Mode of the Kenwood-Amplifier (KAF-S500) to "Full-Auto". The Amp and the DVD-Player are connected via the fiber-optical cabel as well a analog-cable (2CH).
However on TV-screen of my new Plasma TV (Pioneer PDP-434HDG) it's "only" written: Audio-Dolby-Digital 3/2.1 CH (with a transmission rate between 7,1 and 8.9 MBs).
Question: Is "Dolby-Digital" 3/2.1 CH same as DTS? I doubt that the displayed "3/2.1CH" really means performing DTS with a real surround?
I also can only choose the nice "Listen-Modes" (Movie, Music , Pro Logic, Cinema, Music, Arena, Jazz-Club, Stadium, Disco, Theater... ) of the Kenwood-Amp if I switch the "Initial-Setting/Dolby-Digital-Out" to "Dolby Digital > PCM" instead of "Dolby Digital".

Can you help me a little bit what is the proper setting and which sound quality I really get and how to select these Listen-Modes at highest quality-level?

br
Ulli Schwarz

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
Dolby Digital and DTS are totally different types of music/sound encoding and compression.

First, the speaker set-up has to be calibrated properly using a db meter, if you really want to get the most out of your listening experience. Playing it by "ear" is not going to cut it.

Unregistered guest
I see, however I don't think I will buy a sound-level measurement tool to calibrate my equipment which was less then 500 USD.

How about my problem with the Listen-Modes?
Any idea?

Post Number: 2
i believe the listen modes are only for stereo listening. I could be wrong, i don't really use it on mine. You could check the manual and see if the DSP modes are active during digital inputs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us