I need advice on creating a 7.1 home theater

Username: Northexposure

Post Number: 2
Here's my situation. I want to set up a 7.1 system in my family room, whose dimensions are 12'10" wide by 21'9" long. I am starting from scratch since my audio components are all 20 years old or more and are either not compatible with HT or lack the quality I seek.

For budget reasons, I would prefer to buy components of the system in stages, which would enable me to spend more money overall and get higher quality.

(1) I would prefer to spend less than $1,000 on a receiver. What models would you recommend and why?

(2) Speakers. I would like to begin with just two front speakers, later expand to a 5.1 system, then expand to a 7.1, which seems likely to fit well in my room. As far as budget, I'd prefer ro spend less than $3,000 in total on speakers but I have some flexibility to spend less or more. Should I be at all concerned about matching the various speakers? What should I consider in speakers depending upon the receiver I chose?

(3) DVD-player. I'm looking for a budget player for now, partly because I rather spend money on a DVD recorder when prices drop and partly because I don't expect to buy an HDTV for 5 or 6 years (I have a 4-year-old, 32-inch Sony which I want to get a few years out of and I live in Canada, which is a few years behind the U.S, in HDTV programming)

(4) While I'd prefer to buy in stages, are there any HTIB systems that are worth considering in my price range?

(5) One note - I live in Canada and product availability can be much more limited and prices can be greatly inflated - far beyond the exchange difference. Any Canadian products or sources for products that you recommend? I know Paradigm is Canadian.

Thanks for the help.

Scootusa01
Unregistered guest
Take a look at the Onkyo HT-S760 or S767. One comes with the dvd player and the other comes without. Good performer at about $800 and discounts are not unusual.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seem the Onkyo recommended on this board as a good value for the price and I believe the system withot a dvd player can be had for $500 US. I'm not sure of prices and availability in Canada.

Do you have this system? Is it a 5.1? What do you like/don't like about it beyond the very good price?

Thanks again for your help.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seem the Onkyo recommended on this board as a good value for the price and I believe the system withot a dvd player can be had for $500 US. I'm not sure of prices and availability in Canada.

Do you have this system? Is it a 5.1? What do you lie/don't like about it beyond the very good price?

Thanks again for your help.

Scootusa01
Unregistered guest
I have the 760 and I like it very much. It came with the subwoofer and 6 speakers and is powerful enough to shake the walls. Playing movies on a dvd puts you right there. The speakers are large which can be challenging if you are short on space. The receiver runs a little hot and there is no fan. The speaker wires that came with it had to be upgraded which is easy enough to do. The instruction manual walked you through all the connections. I do not think you can go wrong with it.

Scootusa01
Unregistered guest
I have the 760 and I like it very much. It came with the subwoofer and 6 speakers and is powerful enough to shake the walls. Playing movies on a dvd puts you right there. The speakers are large which can be challenging if you are short on space. The receiver runs a little hot and there is no fan. The speaker wires that came with it had to be upgraded which is easy enough to do. The instruction manual walked you through all the connections. I also liked the fact there were connections for other audio components I do not think you can go wrong with it.

Scootusa01
Unregistered guest
Sorry about the double post.

Post Number: 7
You just responded to my double with a double!

Thanks for sharing your experience. In that price range there seems to be a lot of positive feedback for the 760. I'm not sure what it costs in Canada.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us