6.1 system recommendations

Bronze Member
Username: Taxman

Post Number: 19
After reading the hundreds of posts on this excellent site, I am somewhat confused, yet enlightened. Anyway, I am looking for recommendations from those qualified.

My needs:
1. 6.1 surround (new house already wired).
2. System will be used 50/50 between music and home theater, thus I am hoping to get a system good for both.
3. Budget is in the $800 to $900 dollar range for the speakers.
4. I already have a Panasonic SA-XR45 A/V receiver.
5. The satellites must be fairly small and mount from the ceiling rather than wall (thus, no bookshelf speakers).
6. Satellites colored white or silver is a definite plus.
7. Fronts must be bookshelves due to built-in entertainment center.

I am thinking about a sub/sat system and trying to get a pair of bookshelves which are voice-matched to the center and satellites (if possible)for the fronts. However, my research has shown that most speaker manufacturers use different tweeters in their satellites than in their bookshelves, thus making it difficult to voice-match. If anyone knows different, please advise.

My thoughts:
1. Athena Micra 6 matched with SB1 or SB2's.
2. Infinity TSS450 matched with infinity primus or entra bookshelves.
3. Polk 6700 matched with Polk bookshelves.
4. Bose 301 matched with Bose 161s and ??? brand subwoofer(cheapest route since I already have the 301s).

Other brands possibly in my price range, which I am yet to test, include Paradigm, Boston and Cambridge.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as I will rely on other people's trained ears and experience.

Username: Vijay_leo

Post Number: 2
can you pls share your experience with TSS450 Infinity speakers. Do they sound good ?

I am not an audio expert, but when I heard the
demo I really loved.

Need a second opinion. Would appreciate a response
thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I haven't made a purchase yet, but the Infinity TSS-450 sounded great in the listening room. Lots of highs from these speakers which sounded great for home theater. Plus they have the threaded insert for easy mounting (which the Infinity 750 does not ironically). They lacked the mids and lows for music though. However, Infinity also has the US-1 satellite with a 4 inch driver that sounded nearly as good as their smaller bookshelf speakers for music. Bottom line: I was pleasantly impressed with the 450s.

I haven't been able to audition the Athena Micra 6 yet and am waiting to do so before making a final purchase.

I also saw the Ventriloquist silver package on their website (www.hsuresearch.com "forums") which look very sharp and have excellent mounting and wiring options. Thus, I am still undecided.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Forgot to add:

After listening side by side, I finally realized why the Bose bashers are coming from. Neither the 161's, AM 10 or AM 15 had near the "highs" that even the little Infinity 450s had. My 301s are going to the bedroom and the Bose package is off my list. I'm obviously not a Bose hater, I just want crisp highs for home theater.

Username: Vijay_leo

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the reply. I am planning to buy InfinityTSS450 (nothing else convinced me from
what I heard for my budget)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us