Newbie Needs some advice

Username: Pkh5695

Post Number: 1
Hey for christmas we got this sony dvd/surround sound combo thing from my wifes parents its has like 6 speakers. we have 3 older TV with no outputs, does this mean we can not use the surround sound while watching TV only DVD's on the dvd player? we do not have a cable box the cable plugs right into the back of our tv, and the TV's have just 1 input and no output for headphones. i have read on another form that i can buy a video switch box that has a RF input and output and and somehow with cables jump the audio into the audio input of the dvd surround sound but this was WAY overmy head and i didnot understand what the person was saying can someone help me out or tell me if thier is another way

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 38
You do not need to connect the audio b/w TV and the surround system. You only need to connect the video output from the DVD player or from your combo system to the video input on the TV. If the TV doesn't have composite (RCA) video input jack, you can buy an RF modulator that will convert the composite video signal to use with RF input. I helped a friend buy 1 from Best Buy for only $20. You can find the RF modulator at Walmart or Radio Shack, too.

This is the RF modulator my friend bought at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1067388827858&skuId=5806345&type=prod uct . Check the pictures to see how it looks.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 39
Sorry, the post above is for DVD playback. If you want to get sound from cable TV and your TV doesn't have audio out, you can run the cable to a HiFi VCR then connect the VCR's RF out to TV's RF in & VCR's audio out to your surround system. You'll only get Dolby Prologic (if available) but not Dolby Digital surround sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us