Any issues with uneven/long wiring lengths?

Bronze Member
Username: Bryanh

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 19
Suppose one of my surround speakers has a 15-foot run, and the other one has a 28-foot run (have to go around a closet, it'll be easier to hide the cable going the long way around the room). Is this going to create problems with the surround speaker being 'in synch'? The speaker wire is 12-gauge, that should be enough for the long run I would think?

Richard Andy
Unregistered guest
I doubt that there will be any noticeable difference. Some amps have options to add 'delay' to channels. I'd be worried if you were using different types of wire though..

Bronze Member
Username: Bryanh

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 20
It's all off the same loom, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't remember reading about a delay adjustment for individual speakers in my Denon 2105 instructions, but it's a thick book so I could have forgotten it.

Thanks. I'll get this room set up eventually. ;)

Unregistered guest
There is no reason to set a delay for a longer speaker wire. Delay settings are for differences in speaker distance, not wire length.

The reason there might be an audible difference is if the speaker wire were a lot longer, increasing the resistance to the point that the power was reduced significantly, but this could be overcome by calibrating your setup.

Also, using different types of wire shouldn't matter either. For instance, if you had a long run of wire to your surround speakers, you may consider using a thicker guage, but in your case, 12-guage is probably even overkill.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us