DVD: Sony DVP -- NS945V Up-Converting
Video Out:HDMI digital interface, 1 Component
Audio Out :1 Optical, 1 Coaxial

Xbox Xbox
Video Out:1 Component
Audio Out:R/L Analog

Speakers: JBL SCS 300.7
Audio: 7.1 w/powered sub

I'm at a loss for the optimal set up for this system, I've had a couple of recommendations but I'd like to see some ideas out here.
Plan A: Utilize HDMI from the DVD direct to the TV, along with optical to the receiver for full surround and THX effects, but with the HDMI carrying both audio and video, will the optical send the audio thru the receiver as well? DSS to receiver via component and optical connections, Xbox to receiver via component and analog connections.
Plan B: Take HDMI from TV, convert to DVI out for the DSS, connect DSS optical out to receiver. DVD to receiver via component and optical outs, Xbox to receiver via component and analog connections.
Plan B has some obvious issues, HDMI to DVI not always compatible, DVD HDMI auto-optimization lost. I'm open to suggestions here, so if you have an idea or other issues that need addressing, drop a note!

Thanks

johnm
Unregistered guest
I'd run a simple test to find your video preference. Run the Motorola to the TV using both the component and the HDMI. Watch a channel that broadcast a true HD picture. Now switch between the two inputs on the TV to see if you notice a considerable difference.
Do the same with your DVD player using a high quality DVD.
While Plan A seems like the logical choice to me, (optical audio out will work from the DVD player while using HDMI), your real concern is which HDMI source will give you a better picture and which one do you prefer since your tv only has one HDMI input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us