Onkyo hts770 and 6.1 question

Username: Jhs914

Post Number: 1
Although most of my dvds at home do not have 6.1 audio, several do. I've tried this on 2 different dvds but the same thing happens. If anyone knows that I'm interpreting the instruction wrong, let me know.

According to the instructions, if you go to the "audio adjust" through the "setup" button on the remote, you should be able to bring up a dts or dolby selection on the display (to turn the 6.1 on, off, or auto).

When I select the dts 6.1 on the dvd menu (under the audio setup on the dvd) and then, try to access this on the onkyo as described above, the option for dts doesn't show on the onkyo display (so I can't select "on", "off", or "auto"). I usually end up watching these movies with the dolby digital 5.1, but with the dolby digital ex setting on the onkyo.

Do I have to go to the audio setup on the dvd and choose the dts 6.1 or does the onkyo automatically detect this option and displays it on it's display?

Hopefully, my message is understandable. Anyone know what I'm talking about or have any input?

Username: Bigcat

Post Number: 2
all I do is set the dvd to send DTS instead of dolby. my 770 automatically detects dts and thats what it plays.

Bronze Member
Username: Turkish621

Post Number: 18
jimmy, a little off topic but I have a question for you. I am looking at getting the hts770 myself. Can you tell me what you think of it so far? Recommend, not recommend, pros and cons.

Ben,

First off, I'd like to first say that I'm not an audiophile. I pretty much know the basics and enjoy good sound. So, take my opinion knowing this.

The system has great sound and lots of it. Volume turned up to 35-40 (out of 79) is loud enough. Strong bass. I set the bass settings at about half and it's plenty. The remote is pretty comprehensive, with lots of controls. Fairly simple to set up. Like everyone else, I ended up getting new speaker wire (acoustic research, 16 gauge) to replace the original stuff.

This is my first HTIB system so I don't have that much to compare to, but the Onkyo does not have an EQ that you can adjust yourself. However, there is a Tone setting, for adjusting bass & treble. There are also different preset settings for different effects (ie. movie, music, game, etc.). I"m not sure if this is typical (not being able to adjust) with HT receivers. Despite this, it sounds fine.

The remote has tons of buttons, but I can't seem to control some of the basic functions on my panasonic dvd player. All other controls seem to work fine (tv, satellite receiver).

I think overall, if you don't mind the larger surround speakers, you'll be happy with this system. This is assuming you have a properly working system (no defects).

Username: Lazarus2297

jimmy,

i have the same system you do and when i watch lord of the rings, which has a 5.1 and a 6.1 track you have to change the DVD audio settings to play the DTS ES 6.1 track and use some sort of digital out (optical or digital coax) the onkyo will convert the 5.1 track into 6.1 but it doesn't sound as good. as soon as you set the dvd to play the 6.1 track you will get those options to turn DTS "off", "on", or "auto".

Ben,

i will recommend this system to you also i did so in another thread. I love this system

Post Number: 3
Dan,

I have tried doing what you said and I have a digital optical cable for the audio. The problem is, I've set the dvd to play dts 6.1, but when I go to audio adjust, the dts option doesn't come up. I guess I'll try one more time.

Thanks.

Jimmy

Username: Lazarus2297

Post Number: 3
that's odd i was just playing with that last night...at first i didn't know what it meant so i checked the manual...hehe i set mine to "on"

Bronze Member
Username: Ricardoht

Post Number: 12
jhs914 ,

did you try going into the Digital Audio Output settings on your DVD player? All you have to do is change it to Stream. I had the same problem as you and I fixed it by selecting stream.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
For anyone who might know... I am considering this 770 system also, have a huge room, and want to use two existing Onkyo 3-way speakers I have as the fronts, and the two fronts that come with this system as my left and right rears. The guy at Circuit City says this sysytem is designed to use these specific speakers and that I should buy a separate receiver (ie. TXSR502 or similar) and buy speakers to go with that. I don't understand why my plan wouldn't work... Does anyone know? Thanks.

Tom

ecran
Unregistered guest
I have a 770 system and used my old speakers from my stereo system as fronts with no problems. I thought the stock fronts sounded dead and tinny and using my old speakers made a huge difference. My old speakers are literally 27 years old and were fairly expensive when they were new. They sound great with the 770 system. To tell you the truth, after hearing this system with the stock speakers I think most of the folks that reviewed it so glowingly must have tin ears! Either that or they feel loud equals good, as this system can play fairly loud.
I don't think the "clerks" at CC know very much as a rule. As long as your old speakers are 8 ohms it shouldn't hurt.

YMMV

Michele
Unregistered guest
Help!!!!!!! Regarding the $44.98 Duraband HTR @Walmart.I have a 27in Symphonic TV and a Sanyo DVD both from Walmart. I've connected as said in the manual. Audio going from dvd to htr and video cable from dvd to tv. I can not get sound from the htr with the tv only. I've tried seperate audio cables from tv to htr along with audio from dvd to htr. I've tried every senerio with these cables I could think of. I just want to watch tv with the sound through the htr?
Please help.

Username: Raj_irvine

Post Number: 1
Guys,
I bought hts770 a week ago.
My receiver says HT520R but entrie package says its HTS770.
Is thats the case with all of u ? Or yours receiver says Ht770 ?
thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Thalazy

San Ramon, California U.S.A

Post Number: 26
Raj, that's normal, the speakers have their own model number as does the reciever. The Model number HT-S770 represents the whole system. Hope you enjoy your system as much as I do mine.

rfreich
Unregistered guest
Jimmy,

I had the same problem last night when I played LOTR. It turned out to be the DVD settings. DTS was selected at the DVD menu level, the DVD player's "Audio" menu indicated "English 6.1 DTS" output, but still the 770 claimed PCM input! The problem was that I had never properly configured the DVD at the "Setup" menu level. As soon as I looked at that, I saw the problem. Your problem will vary in detail, I'm sure, but examine ALL the possible DVD settings one more time.

Username: Kenney9226

Thrill City, VA

Perhaps try changing the receiver settings so that it doesn't always select dolby digital. There's something in the manual about it, but it's buried in there. You can set it up so that it always has dolby turned "on" and the DTS detection turned "off." You can change them both to "auto" and it'll figure out what type of signal it's getting. Hope this may help.?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us