HT-S650 questions

B
I am a new owner of the HT-S650 system from Onkyo. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1. What is the ideal setting for the crossover frequency? I have it set at 100 right now...what difference will this make in the sound if I were to change it?

2. I have my 3 fronts set at +2 and my 2 rears at +6 so that i can hear them better...is this too much...what would you recommend? (subwoofer is at +4)

3. Does anyone put your subwoofer mode to anything besides mode 1? Please explain in what situation you would change it.

4. I notice that some of my PS2 games have a dolby surround or doly surround pro logic II emblem on the back. How do i get the full effect and take full advantage of the sound with this reciever while playing video games? By this I mean what do I set the reciever to? When i play a DVD it automatically swithces to Dolby Digital or DTS on the reciever...why do my games not do this? BTW - I am using a monster optical cable for the ps2 and have turned on the setting to accept DTS and DOLBY Digital.

5. I leave the reciever at ALL CH ST while watching TV...this mode seems to sound best. I have noticed sometimes before a TV movie that it will say that it is broadcast in a certain audio format. Would that format automatically come through the reciever or should I change the audio setting to something else? I use regular analog cable hooked directly to the TV (well, through the monster surge protector)

Thank you for reading!

box
B,

I've had my HTS650 for several weeks now and have enjoyed tinkering with all the settings and this is what I've found (so far):

1. Use crossover setting of 120. I've noticed that the sound is fuller with this setting. This will allow the sub to capture more of the upper bass/lower midrange instead of letting the main speakers try to produce these frequencies. If the main speakers had larger drivers (i.e. 6 1/2 inch) or if they had more bass extension, then a setting of 100 or even 80 might be okay.

Additionally, I've set the Treble to +8 and Bass to 0.

2. Speaker level-settings: Left Front 0; Center +3; Right Front 0; Surrounds +2; Subwoofer 0. Volume level on the subwoofer is at maximum. The center is set so that movie dialogue is anchored to the screen. Surrounds are set so that they have an enveloping sound without distracting from the front sound. I haven't done too much experimenting with the Subwoofer level because it already seemed to sound balanced.

Also, my delay settings are: Center 1; Surround 7 (I'm still tinkering with this setting and have found that a setting between 4 and 7 is okay). The manual has a formula for determining the proper delay setting depending on the distance of your speakers to your listening position.

3. Subwoofer Mode 1 works well with the speakers in this system. Mode 2 is applicable if your Left and Right front speakers were something like floor standing tower speakers with 8 inch or larger bass drivers (and your center and surround were smaller in relation). The front left and right would be able to produce sufficient bass on their own without the help of a sub. Mode 3 is used if all your speaker produced sufficient bass and you had a large sub dedicated solely for Low frequency sound effects (LFE).

4. On the receiver, make sure the source (i.e. video 2, video 3) are set to the correct input. Use the "Audio Selector" and "Digital Input" buttons to set to Optical 1 or 2 depending on which one you're using for your PS2.

5. For TV viewing, in order to experience programs in dolby surround, you will need to switch to ProLogicII surround mode. I don't think the ALL CH ST mode will provide the correct surround sound. The cable you're using is fine.

Enjoy!

B
Thanks for the reply.

I measured the distance from my fronts/center to where i sit to listen and the distance is greater than 6 feet. Does this mean that i should put the delay to the max, which is 5 for these? How will this improve the sound? I set the surrounds delay at 3 because they are about 3 feet above my head...this will change once i purchase stands.

B
There is only the two pro logic settings (Music and Movie)

What would the ideal setting be for watching a TV movie that says that it is available in dolby sound? My TV is analog, so I am using the main cable line and RCA's which are connected to the reciever. My DVD is connected by a coax and ps2 by optical. I use s-video for picture.

Please read post above this one if you have not...I really need some help. :)

Thanks

fool
OK...I figured out the delay time settings...i am an idiot! I did not look in the manual far enough to see that it tells you how to do the math and how to properly set the delay time!!!

Pay no mind to my ignorance.

box
B,

For TV viewing, set it to ProLogicII Movie to take advantage of dolby surround sound. Your connections are fine.

Not sure if you still have a question regarding delay settings, but start with a good placement of the surround speakers: at least 3 feet higher than your head when you're seated at your listening position; the speakers should be slightly behind your listening position, rather then directly to the sides; the speakers should be angled so that they are facing each other, rather than facing forward; the distance between the left and right surround speakers should be greater than the distance between your front left and right speakers.

Once that is set, the formula is ((distance from listening position to front right speaker) - (distance from listening position to surround right speaker)) / 3 feet = x meters approximately. Cross reference with the table in the manual to find the delay setting in milliseconds and plug that number into your receiver.

Calling all Kenwood HTB-505 users and Onkyo HT-S650 users. Please post or e-mail me your reviews on each of these systems that you are currently using.
Many thanks.

Flags6363@aol.com

Sooteal
Hi All You HT Experts-
I have the Onkyo HT S650 & it sounds wonderful! I have a question about selecting the best sound mode on the Extended Version of LOTR-the dvd offers DTS 6.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. Since the system is only 5.1--will I be missing something by selecting the 6.1 DTS mode on the DVD??
Also, exactly how does DTS differ from Dolby Digital Surround 5.1??

Thanks for your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us