In wall placement - need advice

Username: Teej

Post Number: 2
first, thanks to previous posters on past questions.

I am setting up a 5.1 system and new hdtv. we decided to go in-wall, so have bought the polk tc265i as the center speaker, and 4 polk tc65i speakers for front and rear locations. My question is location of the center speaker. We are mounting a flat panel tv above the fireplace so I have two options, both with some concerns so would love to hear some opinions:

Option 1:
the center speaker location above the flat panel, then the L and R speakers mounted in line with the center speaker. The issue is the height of the speaker (~80" from the floor). Given the seating area is about 14' from the TV wall (and the room has no backwall) I am worried that the sound is much too high above the seating position. I know I can angle the tweeter, but not the other speakers. Is this a bad idea? Should I try instal the speaker on a tilt to better aim the sound?

Option 2:
the center speaker between the TV and fireplace mantle shelf, with the L and R speakers mounted in-line with this level. The height issue of option one is resolved, with height being ~50" but the speaker would be right above a 8" shelf of the mantle so I wonder if that will adversely impact sound quality, or is the adverse effect lessened by the corner dampening technology?

opinions?

in case it matters here are the dimensions of the room:
- wall where TV is mounted: 12' wide by 8' high
- distance to seating area: ~14'
- no back wall (the room extends into the bkfst / kitchen area)

thanks in advance for suggestions

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 58
I would be inclined to mount Two (2) center channel speakers and connect them in parallel.

As you suggest, your mountings prohibit above or below. However, you could mount a center speaker to the inside of each of your front mains and wire in parallel to the center channel. With the distance from your screen your ears will still "see" the center channel as it is.

A couple of thoughts to go along, Both 'center' speakers should be the same and have the same specs to minimize the "comb" effect (cancellation and addition of some frequencies). Also, make sure your amp can handle the impedance (ie: 2 speakers @ 8 ohms connected in parallel will look like 4 ohms to the amp).

You can mock up your arrangement before committing to the project, this will give you a chance to play with placement.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us