What to do with a Bose Acoustimass 10 system?

Bill Anderson
Unregistered guest
I know most people don't think very highly of Bose speakers and I am one of them. What happened though is my wife was dead set against any large speakers for the HT (yeah, Bose marketed these suckers just for women I think...lol, but I'm not implying women don't know good speakers, so I should say...they marketed them to people who know the brand name and nothing else).

Anyway, she went out a few years ago and bought what she thought was the Bose Acoustimass 3's (paid $200) and they ended up loading Bose Acoustimass 10's into the car. This is the older system that doesn't use a powered sub module.

What can I do to get the home theater sound better with this setup minus selling the used Bose and buying new stuff? I live in Hawaii, so we don't have many places to shop for good speakers and ordering stuff from the net would be ridiculously expensive to ship out here.

I am going to add a powered subwoofer to the system. My receiver has a separate out for the sub. As you all know the bose satellite speakers all plug into the sub and then into the receiver. Can I do anything else to try and get better sound besides add a powered sub?

I was thinking of trying to use all 5 of the satellite speakers as rear/side surround and also buy a new center and right/left speakers, but I'm concerned that it will be a pain in the a$$ to have this type of setup working with my current receiver (sony str-de 945). I'd like to aviod buying a new receiver for a bit also.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/hints for getting better sound with Acoustimass 10's. The center channel actually sounds ok, but the rest is total crap and I'm getting tired of it with my HDTV etc...I know I could always sell the things used, but my wife would freak if I went out and bought all new stuff, so I'm trying to figure out how to add some things that are too $$$ to get some better sound...the powered sub is a definite.

Anyone have any ideas here. Also, any recommendations on a low priced powered sub (under $300). I'm not sure how I can add anything else to the system (and keep the Bose) due to speaker inputs on the sony...really appreciate the help.

BTW: These were the first and last Bose I will ever own...even at $200 for the Acoustimass 10 seems like a bad deal. Hope there might be some way to keep them and get things sounding a little better.

Mahalo!

bill anderson
Unregistered guest
Man, I didn't realize what a pain it would be to add a powered sub...adding it was easy...getting it to sound good with the Bose AM 10 II's was and still is a pain since all the cubes run into the AM. I picked up a JBL E250P and it just didn't sound good at all. Bose recommends/states that you need to set the cubes up as Large speakers so the extra base is processed in the AM, but doing that doesn't send much bass to the new JBL sub. I've been messing around with different settings as far as crossover of the sub and cubes and stuff like that. I have the JBL set at a pretty high crossover since the unpower AM doesn't do crap.

Anyone integrated a powered sub in with a bose AM series ii that are unpowered? Not sure what crossover settings I should be shooting for now that I have the cubes set to small size with the SOny str-de945. I'd prolly be easiest and more appreciable in the long run to sell the bose and go out and buy all new speakers, but that's not an option for me right now.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on what settings to try out so I'm not just shooting in the dark...the bose "manual" is a joke and Sony manuals are very poorly written. Least I think so...a lot of the more complex settings are only mentioned and not really discussed.

Any help would be great...tia

fiddlyD
Unregistered guest
ok...
as for your AM10's the outputs for the speakers(fr,c,fl,rr,rl) go straight into your bass module.
for the new sub just connect the rca cable from sub out to the new sub.. now you will be using two sub boxes...
you should keep ur settings on large.
and on your 945 you should have the SUB on/connected. this will acknowledge and control the jbl.
your bose system will do its own thing.
adjust the equlizer on the 945 for the sub and find what best suits ur needs.

fiddlyD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us