DVD player audio output help

Bronze Member
Username: Bryanh

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 14
I guess I'm a bit confused. :-) I had assumed my new Panasonic F87 DVD-A player would have an optical output jack for watching DVD movies. It does not! The analog 5.1 outputs are there for DVD-Audio only, from what I gather. My receiver (Denon 2105) says that audio signals going through the 5.1 input bypass the surround processing systems and go straight to the speakers.

Seeing as how my receiver can more effectively deal with all the surround sound modes I would think the DVD player could output the audio signal 'untouched' to the receiver.

Here's a picture of the back of my player.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QJHcfqjhRt6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=54500& id=morephotos&pi=2&i=133DVDF87S&display=XL#Tab

See anything useful? I could have sworn my parents' 2-year old basic Panasonic DVD player had optical out, and I just assumed mine would too.

This is my first home theater, so bare with me. :-)

Username: Pepsiman

Post Number: 3
Why dont you just use the digital coax instead? !

A lot of manufacturers recommend it over optical

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2409
Not all manufacturers use optical audio outputs, there are those that use the digital coaxial and some use both. Your Denon should have a digital coaxial input.

Using the analog 5.1 output is really ideal when you are listen to SACD or any high resolution music disc. Have you listened to an SACD or DVD-Audio? You really should try it.

Bronze Member

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 15
My Denon has everything. ;) I suppose I wrongly assumed that because the digital coax port looked just like a standard RCA connector it wouldn't have very good quality. I was thinking it was similar to how composite video is inferior to s-video which is inferior to component cable. I'm guessing I need to buy a special digital coax cable now.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying a DVD-A disc soon. I have been looking around and selection seems limited to artists I don't have interest in, for now. Hopefully that will change. In the meantime I might just have to pick up something like Bach to see what it's like. Or if you have any recommendations for particularly good discs I'm open to ideas. :-)

Bronze Member

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 16
After a bit of online hunting, I'm curious if digital coax cables are available in lengths shorter than 3 feet. My DVD player sits atop my receiver, so a foot or so would be plenty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us