Question re: Motorola 6200 Hi-Def Cable Box Optical Digital Output

Username: Drjflowers

Post Number: 1
Help! Maybe someone else out there has solved this same problem. I'm trying to use the optical digital output on my Motorola Hi-Def Cable Box (Model 6200) to get true Dolby Digital 5.1 through my AV receiver's optical digital input. I can't get any sound at all, even though I've set the receiver to use the digital input rather than the analog. Do you have to "tell" the Motorola cable box to use the digital output rather than the RCA outputs?
In case you're thinking that I haven't set my receiver correctly, I plugged in a different DVD player through the same input and got it to work perfectly. I'm wondering if my cable feed is even digital at all. Right now I'm very frustrated and no one at Comcast has been able to tell me what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 26
Definetly go through all the menus on the cable box and verify that if there is an opticle output on setting as you suspect, it is on. also, keep in mind that with cable only some channels are digital. On top of that, they are not always in DD5.1, often they are still in stereo. So just make sure that you are on a digital channel, preferably a movie channel to increase the likelyhood that they are broadcasting 5.1
good luck!
drew

Post Number: 2
Thanks Drew for the response, and yes, I'm sure that the channels that I've been checking are supposed to be transmitting in 5.1 sound. In fact, just to check it out, I went through every channel in the entire system (up to 912) just to make sure that I was correct. No sound AT ALL is coming out, and I've tried every item in the SETUP menu to try to get the optical output to function properly. If anyone else has any suggestions I'll be glad to try them.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I don't know man, the only thing i can think to tell you is try replacing the audio cable and, if that doesn't work, the cable box itself, which I'm sure you were saving as a last resort. =\

Post Number: 3
Thanks again Drew,
I finally bit the bullet and took the box back to Comcast, and switched it for a new one, which now works perfectly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
glad to hear it! =D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us