Can crossover be separated from Bose Acoustimass bass module?

Username: Tominky

Post Number: 3
I have a Bose 5.1 Acoustimass surround speaker system that came with the house when we bought it. Yes, I know that there are better systems out there, but for now, this is what I have to work with. My problem is that I want to relocate the Acoustimass bass module across the room behind a couch, and the cables won't reach that far. (I must say that I am not a fan of this arrangement - having all of the satellite connections pass through the bass module.) I guess I could lengthen the cables by splicing in lengths of speaker wire, but it is a finished basement and it would be a royal PITA to fish that many speaker wires through the ceiling or under the carpet.

My question: Would it be possible to separate the crossover portion of the acoustimass module (where all of the speaker connections are made) from the cabinet? It looks like there are two wires that connect the crossover circuit board to the drivers themselves. If I put a metal plate over the hole where the crossover panel was, moved the cabinet across the room, and spliced in two lengths of speaker wire, would I be OK? I figure the crossover could just remain sitting behind the receiver.

Does anyone see any problems with this? Would I run into impedence or capacitance issues with the longer run of wire between the crossover and the drivers?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Tom

Brent Foster
Unregistered guest
R= rho*L/A
Impedance = sqrt(R^2+X_c^2+X_l^2)

Physics does have its uses...
hope that helps.

brian p. lee
Unregistered guest
I just bought an acoustimass 7 three dual cube speakers and the bass module. the bass is really weak and does not compare to my Cerwin Vegas. I have a sony STR-DE935 amp/receiver. I've been told by the people at bose that the module could be broken, but there is some bass. overall the sound is not as good as i thought Bose speakers were supposed to produce. Is there somebody out there that can make a recommendation on improving the bass and sound without my having to go to a dealer and spend a ton of money. thank you.

brian

Anonymous

I just bought an acoustimass 7 three dual cube speakers and the bass module. the bass is really weak and does not compare to my Cerwin Vegas. I have a sony STR-DE935 amp/receiver. I've been told by the people at bose that the module could be broken, but there is some bass. overall the sound is not as good as i thought Bose speakers were supposed to produce. Is there somebody out there that can make a recommendation on improving the bass and sound without my having to go to a dealer and spend a ton of money. thank you.

brian

You probably want to check out this thread [https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/9497.html] because if you can get rid of the Bose and look at Orbs, you may not have to:

1) go to a dealer, or
2) spend a ton of money

...and you would get a much better bass response.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us