Finding rear speakers for my HT

Username: Ghostee

Post Number: 1
Hello all. I'm putting together my first home theatre system. The system is going to be used for DVDs, TV, and music. As of right now, I have the following:

Athena AS-F1 front speakers
Athena AS-C1 center
Athena ASP-400 subwoofer
Pioneer VSX-D814 receiver

I'm using good quality wire and cables for all connections. I need to decide on a pair of rear surround speakers. Most likely the system will only be 5.1 as the seating position is against a wall. This system is starting off in a bedroom, but is also being bought to be good enough to fill a small living room when I move out. I have a few choices regarding placement of the rear speakers..

My bed is the listening position and is against one wall, with the fronts and center in front of it. The subwoofer is currently to the left of the bed between it and the wall. To the right of the bed, against the side wall, is the door which opens towards the rear wall. I can space the bed about one foot from the wall, and one foot from the farthest point the door reaches when it opens and place speakers in these areas. Or, I could space it farther from the left side wall and place speakers against the side walls. This woud allow for the surrounds to be further away, and slightly (12"?) behind the listening position. But the surrounds would have to be small as the speaker sitting against the wall where the door opens needs to be no wider than 5" at the max.

Sorry to be longwinded, but my question is whether I'd be better off moving the sub and putting speaker stands directly next to the bed with Athena FS-B1 speakers (which would place them within a foot of the listening position directly to the side, no chance of being slightly behind), or going with smaller satellites and wall mounting them (perhaps Infinity TSS-SAT750?)? Wall mounting would be optimal, but I don't want to hurt the quality of the sound too much.

Any insight regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tony
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us