Help me spend $1000 on a Home Theater System

Unregistered guest
I've got approximate $1000. to assemble a home theater system for my living room. It will be used primarily for TV viewing with a 30" Wide Screen. The front speakers need to fit in the enterainment center and can't be over 12" tall.

What NFM recommended was the following:
Onkyo TX-SR502 6.1 Reciever ($270)
Onkyo DV-SP302 DVD ($120)
Infinity TS-450 5.1 Speakers ($350)

For speakers I've also considered:
Polk RM6750 ($400)
Cambridge Soundworks Moveworks 108 ($500)

Thoughts or recommendations??
Thanks!

Username: Steelydan

Post Number: 6
After many days reading reviews and talking to people, I picked up the Onkyo SR502 and the onkyo SKS-ht 240 speakers (6.1) which look great (especially if you have a flat screen TV) for $570 at Vanns last week. I have finally hooked them up and everything sounds great. I have also ordered the CV-SP702 DVD changer at $180 to complete my home theater.

So for under $700, I think I have a great home theater. All of the products are highly rated. I dont think you can go wrong with the 502. It has all the sound processing formats you need including pro logic IIx and it is solidly built.

As for speakers, the fronts are taller than 12" so the onkyos wont work for you unless you mount them or stick them on stands. I have heard good things about Home theater speaker packages from Harmon Kardon and Athena technologies so you might want to check them out. Go to vanns.com. They sometimes have bundle packages that can really save you money.

hope this helps. Happy shopping!

Username: Bladez42598

Post Number: 4
Hey, Mike. I just set out to do the same thing. Get Home Theater for $1000. Unfortunately I went a bit over. But, for only going over $450 bucks. I got the HK-AVR235, Velodyne DPS-10, All infinity speakers direct from infinity off Ebay (they have a remanufactured site the sells all speakers refurbed with warranties). and I got the Harmon Kardon DVD player. All for under $1400. so if you go a few hundred bucks over you can get a remarkable difference that you'll be much happier with in the long run.

Mike Hall
Unregistered guest
Vinnie,
What Infinity speakers did you end up with?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us