Hey Bernie! Oh No! It's Him Again!

Bronze Member
Username: Rmstaff

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 12
Bernie my great success was not long lived. My son changed some wires and alas I return to square one. I have tried to list what I have done and perhaps again you can be my salvation! All works again but the TV Audio to the speaker system

Have Bright House Cable which I ran from the wall to the Cable Box. Cable box to the DVD and then to the TV.

DVD-VCR combo. DVD has Digital Optical Out to Digital Optical in on Receiver.
Orange Digital Coax from DVD to Digital In on Receiver.

S-Video out from DVD to S-Video in on TV.

Audio out from the TV to Audio in Line one on back of DVD-VCR Combo.

I have 2 audio locations on back of receiver which I have not utilized as the system works without using them except for the TV audio being transferred.

Those are marked VIDEO-AUDIO IN and DVD AUDIO IN.

I guess I am missing the boat somewhere. Appreciate any advise you may give as wife is looking at me crosseyed with hammer in hand! lol!

Regards,

Robert

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2360
Alas, indeed:-) I have 3 sons, so I know what you are going through!

If the TV Audio is connected to the DVD-VCR combo, then you should have an Audio cable (analog red/white-left/right) running from DVD-VCR combo to your receiver. Your TV does not have any digital audio output so you have to use the regular RCA outputs from the DVD-VCR combo.

TV Audio out-->DVD/VCR-->digital optical AND left/right RCA cable-->receiver.

Any reason why the cable box is connected to the DVD player?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2361
Oh and the wife with the hammer is an all too familiar picture, LOL!

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 13
Hi there Berny!

Yes indeedy, my son the Technician! Well he spent 3 hours this am trying to undo the wrong. I just pulled everything off and rewired according to the Sony Book.

Cable box to the DVD seemed to complete the circuit???? (DUH)?? ( Was my original thought) There was a port there for in and out. Actually the Sony manual said to do so.

I an having a trying time with this and am pulling my hair out which already is lacking! lol

Here is Sony's set up procedure which is obviously not getting the job done.

Home Theatre System - Hooking up DVD & VCR

Digital Coaxial cable from Back of DVD-VCR Combo to DVD In - Coaxial on back of Receiver.

RCA Line Out from Combo unit to Audio In -
Video on back of receiver.

Next refers to the DVD Player/VCR.

Audio Video Cord from Line Out on back of Combo Unit to - In on back of TV.

Audio Cord from out on back of TV to Aux.in on Combo unit.

Their next step is Cable from wall to back of Combo Unit to Cable box out to TV.They call that Plug and Play.

2nd Option! Wall to Cable Box to Combo Unit to TV. (Have tried both)

Next is AV receiver hookup!

Audio Line Out from Combo Unit to Amplifer with Dolby Surround Decoder.

The only way to do this is the Audio Out from the DVD to Audio in - DVD on the Amplifier.

Next step is Digital Audio out Coaxial from Combo Unit to AV Amplifier.

Audio out Optical from Combo to AV Receiver.
( It says only one is necessary) Which should I use? Both are connected.

Next is S-Video Component Hookup - S-Video Cord from back of Combo Unit to back of TV.

That completes their set up and is where I am presently at.

As a sidenote I called Sony and tried to speak for 45 minutes with a lady. I could not pronounce her name and finally gave up as the language difference was so great neither of us could understand the other. Puts a question mark in my brain regarding Sony and their assistance!

Appreciate you climbing on board to help Berny! You might save my marriage? lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2365
Robert,
My understanding is that you can't get any sound from the TV to your receiver, correct?

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 14
Yes indeedy! We went through this before. Once again I am perplexed as I have made all the connections as suggested. I asked in my last post about which audio connection to delete the coaxial or optical. Don't know if that would cause the problem???

Gold Member

Post Number: 2366
It wouldn't cause a problem.

However, from your description

"Audio Video Cord from Line Out on back of Combo Unit to - In on back of TV.

Audio Cord from out on back of TV to Aux.in on Combo unit. "

You shouldn't have an audio cord from your TV to the Combo unit, you just made a circle without any real audio source but the combo unit.

It should be TV audio Out to Receiver.

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 15
Audio Video Cord from line out on back of combo unit to in on back of TV! This was called for in the initial diagrams. If I remove that there will be no connection to tv aside from the cable coax and the S-video cord. I do have the audio out from tv to Receiver which is supposedly mandatory for the audio to work for tv! ???

I disconnected the optical cord with no ill effects. I remembered the ProLogic info you gave me earlier and have programmed that also with no positive effects.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2367
A/V cord (output) from combo unit to back of TV is right.

But you should have no audio cord from the TV audio ouput into the audio input of the combo unit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2368
Next we need to find more audio sources.
How is the cable box connected?

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 16
Audio out from back of tv goes to the receiver not the combo DVD-VCR. I thought that was necessary.

Cable box has 1 S-Video out
1 Video audio out(red, white, yellow)
1 digital audio out

TV has one audio out after I removed the audio from there to receiver.

Combo unit has one V-Audio (yellow,red,white)in
available.

My cable is presently from wall to Box to combo to tv! Is that proper?

My wife is a nurse and works nights so I can do this now without threat of physical violence lol! I was on the hit list for the sounds blaring when she sleeps during the days!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2371
Now let us connect the Cable box...

Cable Box S-Video output --> TV S-Video Input

Cable Box Audio Out (red/white) --> TV audio input. This will enable you to hear the cable TV without turning on the receiver.

Cable Box Digital audio output --> receiver

we may have to change this configuration IF you
regularly record TV shows using your DVD/VCR combo.

But let us try this first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2372
after this, you need to get a roll of masking tape and a permanent marker. You need to label those cables, lest the pain of the wifehammer be thrust upon your head, HAR!

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 17
to place audio out from cable box to audio in tv I will have to remove the V-Audio link from the back of the tv which comes from the combo unit?

I do no recordingas I have another tv room for that type of action lol!

Unfortunately after these moves I now have no surround???
cable box digital to receivor necessitates the removal of same from the dvd digital out.

Oh My!! a new can of worms?? Glad you have patience!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2373
Okay...
Let's do this. How many inputs to your TV?
Do you have a DVD player AND a DVD/VCR combo?

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 18
Hey Berny!!

MY BAD! Someone changed my super duper surround disk for a silly junk one!

I still have the surround but no tv to speakers yet!

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 19
Have a DVD/VCR Combo only. There are 2 sets of hook ups on the back! One says DVD only. On the left is a set of hookups labeled A/V in, A/V out, Cable in and Cable out.

Television has a S-Video Imput
Aux A/V imput
Ant cable in

I variable audio out!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2374
OY, there's my confusion...

DVD player S-Video out --> TV S-Video input
DVD player Digital Audio out --> Receiver input

Cable Box red/white/yellow output --> TV Aux A/V Input

TV variable audio output --> Receiver

This is the simplest way. Try it first and then we'll go to other set-ups.

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 20
TV Variable output is in the receiver video audio in! Only posts open! Is that ok? Everything else as suggested.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2375
Fire it up!

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 21
This is really making me feel like an incompetant! LOL.

I really think my problem now lies in the 4 remotes setting there.

DVD is super, FM cranks up.
I don't care about recording anything as I have the Bright House, Road Runner Box that records and pauses anything you would want on my big screen in the den.

This is only to watch tv and play some dvd's on with the family.

I might be expecting too much on this audio thing with the tv. I probably do not have everything programmed right. This is not a high dollar unit, sort of a learning toy.

I might add your patience is certainly great and I do appreciate the time spent trying to educate this old codger!

I am going to play with the control for awhile as I notice the Pro Logic does not appear as it did before. I will catch up with you tomorrow with a progress report. Hopefully singing the praises of success!

Take Care Robert

Gold Member

Post Number: 2376
You've got all night, Robert. Have fun with the experiment.

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 22
Good Afternoon Berny!

5am this morning I just threw up my hands and said nite, nite!

Everything operates except that elusive changeover for the TV sound. I switched several wires to experiment and then put them back before I became confused (not hard to do).

My receiver has " Video, DVD, FM, AM"

Below those buttons " 2 channel, AFD, Movie, Music.

On my TV remote I have a TV/VCR button. TV shows Ant/Cable as source of picture.

VCR shows S-Stereo.

I have turned the TV speakers off as the TV book says you will get better sound if you are using a Home Theatre receiver for sound.

If I go from TV to DVD FM or VCR the AFD mode clicks and I have my surround. Back to tv and I have no audio.

I thought perhaps the problem was in my operation of the remotes.

It is obvious the receiver is not getting the TV audio! Sony and Zenith both say audio out from tv to audio in on receiver! We both know thats not working.

I imagine you are tiring of this and if so I guess I will just leave it as is. I have no idea what to check or change.

" Your Worst Nightmare" LOL

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 23
Still searching here.

Cable box has 2 open ports.

1. Digital Audio Out
2. S-Video

TV has nothing open.

DVD/VCR Combo has A/V In.
A/V Out

DVD only has the "Red Green Yellow" open. I believe that is Composite? No where for it to go.

Thought I would throw this in as all cords that came with system are being utilized along with the extra S-Stereo I bought separately and an additional Audio cable.

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 24
Would this tell us anything?

Power
Front power 85 Watts x 2
Center power (watts) 85 x 1
Surround power 85 Watts x 2
THD @ rated power 10%
Bandwidth @ rated power 1 kHz
Inputs and outputs
# of component video inputs 0
# of digital inputs 2 (1 Coaxial, 1 Optical)
S-video inputs 0
Types of digital decoding
Dolby Pro Logic No
Dolby Pro Logic II Yes
DTS (Digital Theater Systems) Yes
DVD player
DVD player included Yes
Disc capacity Single disc player
Disc player formats DVD, CD, VCD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3
Speakers
Center speaker type 3 1/4
Subwoofer type

Gold Member

Post Number: 2377
Robert,
Any hair left???

Do you have any audio coming out of the TV speakers when you are watching regular TV programs?

If you do, then you need to set up the TV to output to the receiver via TV setup menu.

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 25
Yes I have audio on regular tv. I can shut the speakers off via the tv set up menu.

There is nothing there to allow me to set output to the receiver via TV set up menu that I can find. What would it be listed under??

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 26
Yes I have audio on regular tv. I can shut the speakers off via the tv set up menu.

There is nothing there to allow me to set output to the receiver via TV set up menu that I can find. What would it be listed under??

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 27
Getting rum dum posting twice! lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2378
What are your audio options under the audio set up menu?

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 28
TV Audio Setup:

Stereo/ Mono/ 2nd Audio/SAP

Front Surround

EZ Sound On/Off

Speakers On/Off

EZ Sound Custom Normal, Custom, Dtadium, News, Music and Theater.

The TV Manual just says run audio out from tv to audio in on receiver to tap into Home Theater sound!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2380
That's interesting...
Well then, let us look at your receiver set up.

On the receiver, how is the TV connected?
Under the Video Category area behind the receiver, you should have 3 or 4 input types.
1. Left/Right Analog (usually red/white RCA jacks)
2. Digital Audio input (could be digital coaxial or optical)
3. Video in (yellow or s-video jack)

If you have these and it is not being used, connect the TV audio output to the red/white jacks and make sure that the digital inputs are not being used.

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 29
I have a Cell Phone/W/Digital Camera. Let me take pictures tomorrow AM of all the Hookups and identify each and maybe we can go from there. I just tried and I need better light. I called Best Buy where I bought the unit and they want 199.00 an hour to hook this up! Thats highway robbery. I told them the speakers were all mounted and wired properly. All that was needed was hook up the back. That, they say is the minimum charge! Tut, Tut!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2383
I'm wondering how many people pay that fee?!? That is a nice racket, if you can get in on it!

Try this link, by the way. It is a visual illustration of how to hook things up. Who know, if you get hits thing working, you can charge people $100/hr and you can undercut Best Buy:-)

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

courtesy of Dirtfarmer Arnie.

Don't worry, you'll get that thing working real soon.

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 30
Perseverance:
Not one of my traits! My son the "GOOD BOY" has a tinge of remorse and has hired a friend to set this bugger up. $25.00 is better than 199.00 per hour and I know you are most likely getting tired of the confusion as it is tough to relate on line without a photo of the units and then probably tough to do anyway.

Wanted to thank you for your assistance! It is appreciated.

I was playing with the AV remote from the DVD/VCR and found a section listing DVD/VCR/Channel 3. I was wondering if that relates to Channel 3 which is where the TV sets for our cable, etc.

Anyhow! Thanks! I will post back with an update hopefully with a success story!

Regards, Robert

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 31
I could see that fee if it was a high dollar system and speakers and wires needed to be run!

Now Arnie must be a serious researcher. He finds more links and info than anyone I know! As with even the setup guide the company's provide they do not always work. Many combinations.

Probably be a few days before he gets here but I will post the results!

Have a good day and again! THANKS!

Robert

Gold Member

Post Number: 2385
No problem, Robert!
How in the world did we get that thing to work the first time???
Now, don't forget the masking tape...better yet gaffer's tape, no residue! Mark those pesky cables:-)

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 32
I don't know! Guess it was magical?? lol

NEWS FLASH!! Best Buy wants this unit back so I can get another without VHS and a 5 disc slot. More Watts! Less wires without the VHS??

Any suggestions? 600.00 bracket????

Incidentally I did mark the speaker wires as I dismantled it. Thats practice so I will tape the new units hookups! At least I don't have to remove the speaker wires and pull up all the carpet, etc. I used upgraded monster wire!

Hope you are still around! lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2400
Are we talking about a new home theater in a box? Or just a new DVD player?

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 33
New Home Theater in a Box! Minus the VHS which I would never use.Also they gave me a single disk instead of the 5 disk I wanted.

My sons friend said the Receiver unit was defective and was not capable of actually incorporating the tv audio. He said we had activated the TV surround sound not the Sony unit!

So I now have a Panasonic in a box which I will play with tonight. Spent a couple of hundred more but there is more wattage simpler setup without the VHS and it has a TV Audio in on the back! Larger speakers and they are all on stands! Makes for more portability and no more holes to mount on the walls!

Will give you a progress report later! Fun, Fun, Fun in the Sun. 82 degrees here today!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2402
Well, that explains that!

Have fun with your new toy.

cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 2416
Good morning Robert!
I trust you are up and about playing with the new home theater?

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 34
Imagine that Berny!

Waking up turning on the TV and all the speakers are working. Went to one of the music channels and it automatically clicked into the proper mode and I had wall to wall stereo. In fact my FOX News now broadcasts in stereo! lol.

DVD will scare you to death! Surrrrrounnnnnd!!!!

The hookup? One audio, one s-stereo. Turn the volume down on TV and this unit kicks in! I guess you get what you pay for and it damn sure helps if you know a little something when you go shopping.

As a point of interest the Sony I purchased was a returned item they repackaged after supposedly checking out the problem for its return. When I returned it the Store Manager told the girl to just put it on display and sell as an open box item. He told her most people don't even know about tv audio in the home theatre systems. So much for honesty.

Well we did a good job of filling up this thread and I am sure any watching will learn something from it! Lets stay in touch periodically as I am certain I will find another audio toy and need help!lol.

Again, thanks for the assistance! We were playing against a stacked deck!

Regards Robert

Gold Member

Post Number: 2429
That's excellent! How did the wife take the news? Hope she put the hammer down:-)

Bronze Member

Spring Hill, Fl. USA

Post Number: 35
Hammer was put away! Now I have 6 months of "Honey Do's", assigned, due to my inability to resolve the issue quickly! I, in fact, passed them all off to my son "The Tech" and am enjoying the new media sipping a glass of wine! lol! Actually I told her she could play 1 DVD of her choice weekly??? You can bet on that! lol!

This was so damn easy I offered him the chance to remove all 2 connectors if he wished! Think he may be upset with ol Dad!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us